one

"My shirt

"My shirt. My decision." Someone says loudly in the middle of Principal Brenagan's speech.

My jaw is on the floor.

I turn to Ray and notice he is also in shock, but intrigued.

"Who is that?" I ask my brother.

"Some new girl. Bold for her first day."

"Be heard. Use your voice!" The new girl continues.

People in the crowd start cheering. I simply cross my arms and smirk. Principal Brenagan is kind of an asshole so good for her sticking up to him.

Students start filing out of the gym. I grab my bag and follow Jules and Ray. I lose them in the crowd so I slow my pace, no point in hurrying. I start heading towards my next class. Not really paying attention I bump into someone, causing them to drop all of their books.

"Oh my god, I am so sorry!" I quickly try and gather all of their books off the ground.

"It's ok, I wasn't really paying attention."

I look up and holy hair.

I hand the books back to the cute brunette and say,

"I don't think we've met, I'm Violet Beech."

I extend my hand out and he shakes it firmly.

"Charlie Delgado," he responds with a nervous smile.

I want to continue the conversation but before I can the bell rings.

"I'll see you around Charlie Delgado," I smile at him brightly and make my exit.

...

A few days later I'm at rehearsal for Ray's band, mudslide crush.

"Like, "oh, I get to play half my set?" No." I overhear Ray say to Jules.

What's his problem?

I sit down next to Scott, his best friend.

"What's up with him?" I ask.

Scott just shrugs and puts his head in his hands. His girlfriend Mo comes over and sits down on the other side of him. She gives me a small wave and I smile in return.

"Brenagan told us we don't get the full set at the Halloween Bash," Scott finally speaks up.

"So? What's the big deal?" I ask. .

"So you know that new girl Stella?"

Mo and I both nod.

"So I guess she told Brenagan she has some band and Miss Reznick is in on it."

"Miss Reznick is a really talented music teacher actually," Mo cuts in.

"Yeah, whatever. I mean, that's not the point. The point is, this so called band has half our stage time now. It's nuts."

I roll my eyes at him. This is why I don't like my brother and his friends, they're so dramatic.

"Um, do you know who else is in the band?" Mo asks.

"Nope, just a bunch of nobodies."

"It's me."

"What?" Scott and I say simultaneously.

"I'm in the band. I play bass."

Scott stands up and his whole demeanor changes. I decide to back out of the conversation which looks like it's turning into an argument. 

Mo in a band, huh? I wonder who else is in this band.