28

I step out of my house onto the front porch. It's the last day before spring break and I'm beyond excited. A week off from school is something I desperately need.

I hear Steve wolf whistle from beside his car. "There she is!"

I laugh as I do a twirl. Once I'm close enough Steve pulls me close to him and kisses me.

"I still love the uniform," Steve tells me.

"You don't need to flatter me, Steve, you already got the girl," I remind him.

"I know, Sugar," Steve tells me. "But I just wanna let you know how beautiful you are."

I can feel myself blush. "I appreciate it but we're gonna be late if we don't leave now."

We swing by Robin's to pick her up. She's putting makeup on in the mirror. Leaning over between Steve and me. I point to her cheek.

"You've got a little..." I start.

Robin groans. "It is 7:00 in the morning, we have the stupid pep rally, and I woke up looking like a corpse."

"You're worried about a pep rally?" I ask.

"You expect us to believe that?" Steve questions.

"Yeah? So?" Robin says.

"So, we both know what this is about," Steve says. "Not buying that. This is about Vickie."

"Absolutely not," Robin insists.

"It is," I insist.

"You know what else?" Steve says.

"I don't care..." Robin starts.

"You gotta stop pretending to be someone else when you're around her," Steve tells her. "You just gotta be yourself."

"You're literally quoting me to me," Robin tells him. "You do realize that."

"Maybe you need to listen to yourself," Steve offers. "Ever think about that?"

I smile. "Steve listened. And look he got me."

"It's not the same thing. Okay?" Robin argues. "Steve asks out a girl and she says no. Big deal. Nothing happens. Maybe your ego's a little bruised. I ask out the wrong girl, and bam, I'm a town pariah."

"I'd buy that, except Vickie is definitely not the wrong girl," I tell her.

"We just don't know that do we?" Robin asks.

"She returned Fast Times paused at 53 minutes, 5 seconds," Steve states. "Know who pauses Fast Times at 53 minutes, 5 seconds? People who like boobies, Robin."

"Ew!" Robin says. "Gross. Don't say boobies."

"Boobies," Steve says. "Not a big deal, okay? I like boobies. You like boobies. Vickie likes boobies. Definitely. It's boobies."

Steve pulls up to the school and stops his car. Robin gets out but Steve grabs me before I can put a finger on the door handle.

"Not so fast," Steve tells me.

I laugh as he pulls me close to him and kisses me. After a brief kiss I pull away.

"I am not making out with you in the school parking lot," I tell him.

"Why not?" Steve smirks. "You did last week."

"Last week Ms. Kelly wasn't standing five feet away and looking at us," I tell him.

Steve laughs as he turns his head to look at her. He waves and I cover my face with my hands.

"Steve!" I shout.