1 - This Is Just the Beginning (4016 words)

OUR STORY STARTED the first day of my freshman year.

I was sitting at my lunch table, talking to Jodi Taliweather and Chrissy Cunningham. These two girls were pretty much the only tolerable cheerleaders. Chrissy and I knew each other due to our parents. Jodi, however, we had met at cheer try-outs a couple days before school started.

While the group bored on about something I couldn't care less about, I let my eyes wander, wishing to find something or someone more interesting to give my attention to.

Suddenly, my wish was well granted.

An older boy bursted through the cafeteria doors. The first thing I noticed was his hair. It was big and poofy, like it was curly but he had brushed through it. His dark brown locks barely reached past his shoulders, and he had bangs which stopped at his eyebrows. They hardly missed his round chocolate-brown eyes. He had a wide smile that was oddly charming and made his eyes light up. He had a flamboyant demeanor, and an ambitious personality that filled the room, or at least me, with a feeling of lightness.

He was talking loudly to someone beside him about some fantasy game. I will admit, I was definitely staring. His eyes met mine for a moment and my heart went wild.

"Val? Valerie!" Jodi was trying to get my attention.

"Oh, sorry, I was-" I spoke but one of Jodi's friends cut me off.

"Staring at Eddie!" She said loudly, catching the attention of everyone around us.

"Is that his name?" I asked, trying to mask my sincere curiosity with carelessness.

"Yeah. Eddie Munson. He's a real weirdo." Micheal Dean, a senior and the basketball team's captain, scoffed.

"He's a total freak." Another boy added.

"Totally." I scoffed in turn.

A couple hours later, right after school ended, Johnny and I got into and argument.

His teammate wanted to get with me, so he asked Johnny to ask me out for him. I said no and apparently it was a big deal to my brother, because he drove off without me.

Our house was kinda far, but I was fine with walking. I would go on a lot of runs to keep in shape, so it was fine. I would just change in the bathroom of the gas station down the road. I was still pissed at Johnny though.

I was barely out of the school parking lot when a van stopped beside me and I heard a familiar voice.

"You need a ride?" Eddie fucking Munson.

"No I'm fine." I said, trying to keep my face hidden as it was turning beet red.

"Oh c'mon, a pretty girl like you shouldn't be walking too much." He said, trying to be flirty.

I looked down at my shoes. The were brand new, and expensive.

Mom probably wouldn't want me walking far in these, especially since the stretch home is basically just dirt.

"Fine, but only 'cause these shoes were expensive as hell. Not because I'm too pretty to walk." I said in a snotty tone. He hopped out and opened the door for me, curtsying.

"M'lady." He bowed his head.

I rolled my eyes and got in, the poignant scent of weed assaulting my nostrils.

He shut my door and walked, with his chest slightly puffed up, to his door.

"Y'know, I just realized, I never introduced myself. I'm Eddie. Eddie Munson, or, y'know, the school freak. I'm a junior." He smiled at me goofing as he waited for my response.