Chapter 22 - New To The Game

Start from the beginning

Keira, who already had her instructions, ran out of the room and kneeled beside Pietro. His eyes were closed, but his chest was rising and falling steadily. "He's alive." She confirmed to the scientists behind the glass. It was a miracle. Both twins had survived. The first human subjects to survive the stone's exposure.

"Take him to isolation."

Keira nodded in answer, knowing that her insolence would be tolerated this time due to Alexandra being present. Pro of being the favorite. "Should I check up on miss Maximoff while I'm there?"

"Check on her through the door. I don't want you in there until we know what we're dealing with." Alexandra's voice echoed, and Keira could just imagine the argument that was breaking out behind the two-way mirror. Two strong wills colliding wasn't exactly a picnic.

It was a bit ironic however, that she wasn't allowed in the cells to do a checkup, due to the unknown dangers, but yet was allowed to escort them there. If any of the twins would've gained similar powers to her, then she might've been dead already.

Just as she was about to hoist Pietro up, she noticed his fingers, and her movements halted. They were twitching, but not just like normal. No, they were twitching so fast that Keira could barely register it, making them blurry. If she had to guess, it had something to do with the stone's aftermath.

But if she hesitated any longer, she would be questioned and thereby risk punishment, so without further ado, she took him in her arms and walked out of the lab.

Just like it had been with Wanda, it felt very strange to walk through the fortress with the unconscious Pietro in her arms. This was someone she hadn't seen since she was a child, and yet the sense of familiarity lingered over the two.

In some way, it felt nice to see some familiar faces, but on the other hand, she would've preferred it if the twins weren't stuck in HYDRA's hands. It was a faith she wouldn't wish upon anyone.

After having laid Pietro down on his side in his cell and locked the door behind her, she crossed over to Wanda's chamber. Even when she sat down cross-legged in front of the door, her shadow still stretched into the cell through the bulletproof glass. Her muscles relaxed, tired after standing around all day. The only thing she could see from this point of view was the top of Wanda's head, some of the auburn strands hanging off the steel bench.

"I can feel you staring."

Keira felt her face heating up at the words and quickly averted her eyes to the floor. "I- I'm sorry. I didn't realize you were awake." She scrambled for an excuse, feeling her cheeks heat up in embarrassment.

Wanda slowly hoisted herself up into a sitting position and glanced over at the door, still a bit disoriented. "So, me being asleep makes it more okay?" She questioned with a raised eyebrow, her Sokovian accent heavy.

Something glittered behind her green eyes, but Keira wasn't quick enough to catch it before it was gone. Her eyes widened and she shook her head violently. "N- No, of course not! That's not- I didn't me-"

"Can you turn off the radio?" Wanda abruptly said, tilting her head from side to side, her face slightly scrunched up and with her eyes closed. It was as though something was bugging her.

Keira stopped her rambling immediately, and watched Wanda with a confused frown on her face. "Radio? There's no radio." She said slowly, tilting her head curiously. In her own head however, it was a different story.

Wanda's face scrunched up in confusion and she opened her eyes to meet Keira's gaze. "What? But there are so many voices..." Just as the words left her trembling lips, Keira shot up from the floor, startling her in the process.