Chapter 8: Reminiscence

Start from the beginning

"W-What's wrong, Shikimori-san?" I nervously asked her while rubbing my hand on my cheek. "Is there something weird on my face?"

"No, nothing. It's just..." Shikimori shook her head and giggled. "I just love seeing you smile, that's all..."

Her words make me blush furiously, while my face is so hot it can fry an egg if I crack it on top. My mind is having a debate about if I should continue to look at her any longer because the more I look at her, the more bashful I am getting. Meanwhile, her smile is getting wider, perhaps because of my reaction. I take a glance at Inuzuka-kun and the rest, who are all smirking at me.

This situation is becoming more awkward for me. However, somehow, I cannot stop myself from looking at her. Maybe I... also love seeing her smile. Maybe I just love seeing her happy, after all. And maybe, this is the "old Izumi" she was talking about a few days ago when we tried to reach Kamiya-san.

'... I thought I had lost you... Welcome back, Izumi-san.'

Honestly, I also thought that I had lost myself, as well. I think I am back, Shikimori-san. Welcome back, me...

"Hey, hey, you two," Nekozaki-san called for us, catching our attention. "We understand you 'newlyweds' want to show your admiration, but next time, do it somewhere private, alright?"

"W-We... Y-Yes, w-we understood..." Nekozaki-san's words made both of us embarrassed, so we lowered our heads and stuttered, avoiding the gazes of the people staring at us with devilish smiles on their faces. At this point, I just want to dig a hole and jump in it, staying inside for the rest of my life...

"By the way, Izumi..." Nekozaki asked me. "What were you two talking about? You and Inu?"

"Oh... Nothing big, actually..." I lifted my head and turned to her, fighting against my embarrassment. "He was just asking me about my disease's symptoms."

"That's all?" She asked to reconfirm. "But you seemed to be annoyed by him..."

"What?!" Shikimori immediately rose her head from that sentence, as well, before she shot her glare at Inuzuka-kun, who instantly shivered from it. Inuzuka-kun quickly hides behind me, while grabbing my shoulders shakingly, in which I can feel the sensation very well. He glances at Shikimori-san from my shoulders he is hiding his face behind, who is still looking at him with such a deadly stare that even I am terrified by it.

"I-I'm not annoyed at all, Shikimori-san!" I tried to calm her down, as I could feel a murder was about to be committed in front of my very eyes. "He just cared about my health, that's all!"

However, it was useless, since she is still keeping her eyes on his every movement.

"I was telling the truth, Shikimori-san..." I tried to persuade her again. "Don't kill- I mean don't hate him, okay?"

"... Alright." Shikimori seemed to finally calm down, as she beamed a bright smile. "However, Inuzuka, if you annoy him, I'll rip your head off, okay?"

The last time when she said this, I felt it was cute of her since she was flustered. However, it sounds more like a threat now...

"... Hey bud."

"Y-Yes?" I answered Inuzuka's call.

"I thought I told you to make her feel better. Why didn't I see any progress?"

There is a progress, Inuzuka-kun. It's coming, I swear. It's getting closer than you think...

"Speaking of cancer's symptoms..." Hachimitsu suddenly spoke up, breaking the scary silence. "Can you confirm this theory for me, Izumi?"