PROLOGUE ✉

THIRD PERSON - constantinople, rome - royal court of the roman empire

Adelina felt powerless in the tight and suffocating structure of her corset that hugged her body a little too tightly. It was her coronation day, and as expected, Rosalind Habsburg, Adelina's mother, was keen on making a good impression on visiting countries. Especially France. The only thing that a parked excitement in the brunette's soul, was reuniting with her childhood best friends, Francis Valois and Sebastian Poitiers, who both accepted the glamorous invitations to Adelina Habsburg's coronation. She was nervous, and the corset wrapped around her wasn't making simply breathing any easier. Rosalind clothed her daughter in fine blood red silks and fabrics with remarkable authentic golden jewelry hanging on every inch of showing skin. The dress showcased her hips nicely, to Rosalind's happiness. Her mother had always wanted France as an ally, even more than her own father, Charles V, who was the ruler of dozens of armies and regions. The Holy Roman Emperor, Charles, cared for his daughter. At least more than King Henry II of France did for his own daughter, Claude. He cared for her emotions and valued her contributions to any matter he dealt with. He had always believed she received her stuborness and wit for him, and her beauty and glamor from her mother. Rosalind and Charles were an odd pair, both having severely different points of views on the world around them. But maybe that was how their children became some of the most successful siblings in the entire world. Charles had faith that his daughter, Adelina, could do anything. She could balance the weight of several countries and not bat an eye, even if she was crumbling under the weight. And that's what made him so proud. She never once conveyed weakness, no matter how much she longed to feel human. She felt like glass, something breakable. But in truth, she was the sharpest, boldest marble.

"Stop slouching, Ada. I do not condone that posture. Especially with guests amidst." Rosalind scolded her daughter who sat in a red cushioned chair, combing through her dark silky hair.

"Ada could you do my hair?" Lucia pleaded , resting her head in Adelina's lap longingly.

"No, she will certainly not. She is moments away from becoming an Empress. Ask April, or whoever braids your hair." Their mother instructed curtly, watching her eldest through the vanity mirror.

"It's alright, mother. We have more than enough time to spare. And besides, I have been ready since early this morning." Adelina said, turning to her mother who stood dumbfounded.

"Well, empresses have their priorities." Rosalind sighed, walking towards the door before turning back. "Be ready before mid-day, Adelina. You will be crowned the Holy Roman Empress today." Rosalind exited, closing the large door behind her. Lucia beamed, rushing to sit down in front of Adelina's chair.

Adelina chuckled at her sister's antics, grabbing a silver comb, and brushing through the girl's chestnut hair, constructing a crown braid in record time, even adding wildflowers that were delivered to her rooms. "There, Lucy. Absolutely gorgeous." She smiled warmly.

"Thank you, Addy." Lucia roughly embraced her sister tightly before giving her a hasty kiss on the cheek before sprinting out of the room, laughing wildly. Adelina admired the free-spirited soul her sister possessed. She longed to be as carefree as Lucia, and even as tough as Oscar.

"Your Grace, your brother Oscar." Adelina's page informed.

"Send him in." She nodded as her brother stepped into the carpet of her chambers with his wicked smirk etched in his face. "What has corrupted your mind now, Oscar?" She grinned broadly.