Chapter 1

I asked my sister Sally to take me to my favorite burger joint in Houston. "They didn't feed you on the plane?" She asked as she pulled us out of the airport in her small, silver, compact car. At six and a half feet tall, riding with her was always a squeeze, but I appreciated her picking me up. It was good to be back in my hometown on break. "Peanuts", I answered, "I had a couple of packages, but I'm seriously hungry for a Two Ring's burger and shake". This would ultimately convince her that I needed to be fed, for she was so much like our mother; caring. "Alright," she agreed, "But we are ordering through the window. Will and Jonah need to be picked up from daycare by 5:30". She got us unto the highway. "Ooh, do they know that I'm coming?" I asked of my nephew and niece. "They actually do. Jonah already made plans for you to come over and play", Sally was smiling lightly. Whenever I came home to Houston, I stayed with mom and dad. Sally, with her husband and kids, had a full home. Laughter escaped me as I thought to my sister's daughter just five years old. "What? Will won't play with her? I thought you had them a year apart for that reason" I teased. Sally shrugged but the smile remained, "William says he's six and therefore doesn't play with babies anymore". Conversation and laughter continued like this until we arrived at Two Ring's.

"Go inside", Sally instructed. The line for the drive thru was wrapped around the building. She found a spot to park and I got out of her car. "Want anything?" I offered. She shook her head 'no' as she began digging in her purse for something. Crossing the lot, I got to the side door of the restaurant and found the typical scene of teenagers just out of school for the day. For the most part I went unnoticed, but with my height I could never be invisible. Some teens who recognized me, called their friends to attention. I could feel their eyes as I stood in line to order.

Since there were four customers in front of me, I decided this was my chance to look over the entire menu. I had my favorite, but sometimes I liked to try whatever was new. "Hi, Lee!" followed by giggles drew my attention to a table of girls. "Oh, hello", I waved to them. Their reactions were priceless. What I didn't like however was how much more attention they had brought to me. A number of phones were out taking pictures and recording. Everyone inside now for sure knew I was there, but only half seemed to find it a big deal. I noticed an African American girl asleep with her face in her arms, textbooks about her, and wondered how the heck she could fall asleep in this fast food environment. She must have been studying long and hard for something major.

"Can I get a large number 9 with curly fries, instead of onion rings, and a chocolate milkshake to go", I ordered at the front. "A Western Barbeque Cheeseburger combo with large curly fries and large chocolate shake", the cashier verified. "Yes, sir", I answered before being asked if my order was complete. My wallet was already out and I was ready to pay $8.57, but I thought of the exhausted student. "Add a small iced coffee, please", I said as I handed the cashier my card. I didn't have to wait too long before my order number was called. I was given the coffee when I got to the counter and I grabbed my bag and shake with my other hand. Going over to the girl's table, I was to leave her coffee for her to find when she woke.

All I had to do was set it on the table, not spill it over on the tabletop. I cringed as I hurried to pick up the fallen cup. Nothing could stop the flow of coffee from running off into her lap. I was there to look a fool as she woke up with a shocked jerking of her head. "I am so sorry", I apologized while grabbing napkins from the table over.

She wasn't a teenager. She looked at me in disbelief before stretching out her hand for the napkins that I got. I let her handle the mess in her lap while I got more napkins for the table. Soaking up the table, I noticed that some of her books got wet and I really hoped she hadn't rented them. "Your books--", I began but the college student cut me off. "My phone", she gasped. It was tucked under the front cover of one of the books she had open. "I am so sorry", I began again, "My intentions were good, I didn't mean to spill your coffee". Trying to get her phone to turn on, she didn't appear to be listening. By this time a lot of people were watching us and I should've just apologized again and walked away.

"I'll have it fixed", I found myself saying, "Or I'll buy you a new one". She moved her curls from her face and looked up at me. "I have my exit final exam on Monday", she said, "Some of my notes are on this phone", she panicked. "Look", I said as I took out my own phone and unlocked it, "Today is Thursday. If you give my your email, I promise I can have your phone fixed by Saturday at the latest". She went back to taking out and reinserting the battery. Giving up and accepting that it was damaged, her shoulders fell. She gave me her name, email, and Samsung Galaxy with a pastel blue case. I repeated her email to make sure I typed it in correctly, then I saved it in my phone under the name 'Jade'.

"That took longer than I thought it would", Sally said when I returned, "Wouldn't have made a difference if we went through the pick up window". I placed my shake in the cup holder and the meal bag on the dash so I could buckle my seatbelt. "It was my fault", I connected the belt and it clicked, "I was a total embarrassment and now have to restore a phone". Sally started her car, "You broke your phone?" I shook my head, "Not mine, but some girl's. Said I'd have it working and returned to her by Saturday". My sister got us back unto the highway. "Lee, you're so awkward sometimes", she felt the need to remind me.