Under the Confession Tree || Young!Remus Lupin

Start from the beginning

So Remus isn't as prepared as he tries to convince himself he is. He's a panicked mess, his mind running over every possibility in which he makes you rethink your feelings. James said be confident, Sirius advised to be flirty, but Peter warned to not be too much so. Most of all, the boys agreed to stay true to himself.

"You're the one getting confessed to, mate, not us. Do what you feel is best in the moment. Leave 'em swooning with your wolfie charm~"

"Remus!"

The poor boy gives a jolt, his heart lurching at the sight of you running his way. Unlike this morning, you look to be your normal self, beaming as you raise a hand in the air to wave at him with a bright toothy smile he can't help but copy, although, his is notably far more nervous. Everything Sirius and James have prepared him on goes flying out the window, his nerves setting in just as quickly as reality does...Merlin's Beard, he isn't ready for this...

"I'm so sorry for keeping you waiting. Professor Slughorn- well, you know how he is. He practically talked our ears numb today, especially those of us in the club. 'could've swore he took a babbling beverage before class," you joke, coming to a stop mere feet away from him where you then take a moment to regain your breath.

Judging on your appearance, you've likely ran all the way from the dungeons to the old oak. Your tie is crooked despite how straight you prefer it to be and the edges of your robes are splattered with mud which hints towards the possibility of you cutting through the grassy hilltop instead of taking the stone path which would've delayed your appearance a further three minutes at most.

"I haven't been waiting long," Remus reassures, crossing his arms behind his back and wobbling on his heel with eyes focused on the dull colored ground,"...so, what is it you needed to ask me?"

"O-Oh, yes, how could I forget?" You laugh, that is a nervous one. Remus takes note of the way your hand shoots up to your hair, your fingers tangled within the threads as a red tint takes over your cheeks,"...it's a bit embarrassing- at least I suppose it will be if you take it the wrong way. Please don't take it the wrong way, I mean no harm by it, I only want to get it off my chest instead of letting it boil into a bigger issue...So yeah, I'm just going to ask, okay?"

Seeing you in such a stage of timorous rambling makes Remus feel anxious yet giddy; both in good ways. You really are going to confess to him. So much time has been spent staring longingly at you from the back of class, dreaming of a day where he could hear you laugh and smile while stealing soft kisses wherever the two of you find yourselves, be it in the shadows of the library or chilled wind on the Quidditch bleachers. Such are dreams he may be able to make reality after new revelations under the old oak.

"Remus..." You take in a breath, standing straighter with your eyes meeting his with bold confidence," are you a werewolf-?"

"-I love you, too."

Oh dear...Oh dear Merlin no! You both speak at once before your eyes go wide in sync. You then stare in silence like mooncalves at each other while processing what the other had just said.

It feels as if someone's hit Remus with petrificus totalus, numbing his body and gluing him in place as his mind whirls at your completely unexpected question. He doesn't even have time to worry over what he had just confessed himself to you, his other fears poisoning his thoughts far quicker.

"A-A were-werewolf? Why...um, why w-would you think something like that? I'm not a werewolf," his voice is beyond shaky, too much so to be the least bit convincing. Even if it had been, it would've been betrayed by his wild eyes and face which makes it look like he's just downed a gallon of pepperup potion.

You frown with softened features," well, there just seems to be a lot of evidence for it really. You always miss class the day after a full moon then when you do return to class, you usually have a new scar and seem sluggish. When we did our Boggarts lesson, your fear was a full moon and I've noticed that your friends call you Moony...Either you have a thing for full moons or really have a thing for full moons."

Remus bows his head in shame, cursing the way his voice squeaks,"...o-oh..."

"I've had a feeling for awhile now and I even did some research on werewolves just to be sure before I asked. I was worried I'd embarrass myself if I was wrong, but I'm right, aren't I?"

He doesn't respond outside of a gulp, his throat suddenly feeling very dry. How could he have been so dull? Of course you weren't going to confess to him and you never will if you know he's a werewolf now. Who wants to be in a relationship with someone who loses control every full moon and could easily rip them to shreds?

"Remus-"

"-P-Please don't tell anyone, I'm begging you. If anyone finds out-"

"-You don't really think I'd go revealing such a thing, do you?!" Your voice is raised slightly, laced with offense as you quickly take his hands in yours, making the poor boy flinch," Remus, I would never. You trust me, don't you? I understand being a werewolf isn't...it isn't favorable for you and unfortunately people can't always see that, but I do.

"That's why I asked because I just want you to know that if you're a werewolf, you don't have to stress about keeping it from me or even dealing with it alone. I'm sure you're friends already have your back and all, but I want you to know that I do, too. If there's anything you need, be it someone to help patch you up after a bad night or merely a shoulder to lean on at any time of day, I'm here. I'll always be here for you."

Remus blinks, unable to lift his gaze from your soft hands which feel like heaven as your thumb rubs against the back of his in comfort. Your words bring relieved tears to his eyes, ones he manages to blink away with a smile," thank Merlin...I thought you'd want nothing to do with me if you found out."

"Quite contrary...In fact, I might want more to do with you if what you said is true," you bat your eyelashes, smirking at the sight of Remus recalling his own confession moments before. The red tips to his ears makes you chuckle, squeezing his hands lightly," did you think I was going to tell you 'I love you'?"

"James said this is a popular stop for confessing one's love..." he explains shyly and adorably so.

"Is it? There's so many strange traditions around this school, I have a hard time keeping track. I just thought this was a nice tree far from any prying ears. You know, so no one overhears if I'm right? I suppose it's also a lovely spot for such a cute guy to confess his love for me, although, it would be an even better place for him to ask me out."

Remus smiles, looking into your eyes again after inhaling some confidence before exhaling your full name," would you like to go out with me?"

"Remus Lupin, I'd be overjoyed."