EPILOGUE; how did it end?

"my beloved ghost and me
sitting in a tree
d-y-i-n-g"

y/n's pov

Light shone through my bedroom window while Tara and I sat on my carpeted floor with books splayed out in front of us. Music played softly in the background from my speaker, but neither of us were really listening to it.

She wore a pink jacket and her hair was tied back behind her face. I wore a grey sweater and jeans, my hair just tucked behind my ears.

It was the late afternoon of Saturday, October 3rd, 2020. Tara was sleeping over that night and we were studying for an upcoming test and talking, though not much studying was actually happening.

"Bullshit!" Tara exclaimed and I rolled my eyes. "He did not kiss you!"

I chuckled. "Okay, okay, I kissed him. But what's the difference?"

"I knew it! Mindy owes me five bucks. No way was Wes Hicks making the first move."

"Oh, leave him alone, Tara." I felt my cheeks grow warm.

"No, I think it's funny." Tara scribbled down a few sentences into her notebook. "Remember when I said like two years ago that I thought Wes had a crush on you and you responded with 'ew'?"

"That was two years ago! I was fourteen and had an unhealthy obsession with Dylan O'Brien."

Tara snickered. "I remember very clearly, Y/N! Very clearly!"

Silence for a moment.

"Wes is better than Dylan O'Brien." I said as I jotted down a couple of words.

"Oh, god." Tara put down her pen and buried her face in her hands. "You're acting like I haven't been telling you this for years!"

I put my pencil down. "Well, I didn't realize properly until this Summer!"

"You should've realized!" Tara giggled and then the two of us fell into a fit of laughter. It wasn't even funny, but we laughed anyway.

I smiled as the opening to my favourite song started playing and I hummed along.

I stood up and flopped onto my bed.

"I'm so bored of studying. The test is like weeks away."

"It's on Wednesday though, Y/N." Tara lied down beside me.

"Yeah, but that's like a whole... four days away." I sighed. "Why can't I just study on Tuesday night?"

"We can study more later." Tara suggested and rolled over onto her stomach. "I wanna hear more about you and Wes anyway."

I looked to my side where Tara was lying, her chin resting on her hands as she waited eagerly.

"There's not much more to it, though."

Tara raised an eyebrow.

"Okay, fine."

Tara grinned, sat up and crossed her legs like a kindergartner.

"Well, we were hanging out at his house the other night and we were making dinner for ourselves cause his mom was out. He was talking about the movie we watched earlier and was doing that thing he does when he talks with his hands." A smile grew on my lips as I thought about it. "And I looked at him, just stared, and he stopped talking, looked at me and asked 'what?' Then I kissed him, and he kissed me back."