t w o

;

The second Juliet had enrolled at Hawkins High School she had done everything in her power to ensure her popularity.

The morning before school started, she had woken up two hours earlier than usual to make certain her hair, her makeup, and her outfit were perfect. Even on the bus journey there she was analysing everyone, seeing what they looked liked, what they were doing, what social circle they were in, and debating who to befriend.

When she entered the cafeteria and spotted a group of preppy girls who seemed to have known each other since middle school, she knew she had her targets.

And it had worked.

Within weeks she was one of the most popular girls in her year. Trying out for the cheer team and forming a particularly special friendship with a certain blonde sweetheart. Now in her senior year, she was at the top of both the cheer and the social pyramid.

So for someone who tried so hard and seemed to care so much, it was surprising that actually, Juliet didn't give a damn about who liked what, stupid basketball games, or what parties were the best ones to attend. She didn't care that some people were in band, others in cheer, others doing whatever nerdy shit they tended to do.

All she cared about was never being bullied again and if that meant existing with a constant facade and pretending to care, then so be it.

So when Friday morning finally came around, all she could think about was one day. One day left of school until Spring Break began and she could have a week of pure bliss.

Whilst her mother cooked a breakfast of scrambled eggs and toast, Juliet sat at the kitchen island finishing off her geometry homework. The kitchen door open and Juliet's suit-wearing father walked into the room, clearing his throat to gain his daughter's attention. "Juliet, can I speak to you in private please?"

She knew what this was about and willingly followed him out of the room into his private office. As he walked his expensive work shoes tapped against the laminate flooring before from a locked drawer at his desk, he pulled out two crisp $100 dollar bills.

"$200 dollars." He declared, extending the notes towards her before hesitating. "And this will keep you silent?"

"Sure," Juliet shrugged, taking the cash from her father's grasp and into her own. She checked the money, making sure it was correct and when she was satisfied she looked back to her father. "Until the next time."

Sometimes Juliet would feel a spot of guilt about blackmailing her father, but then she would remember he was a liar and a cheat. That money was no object to him, and she'd quickly get over it. It was two months ago now since she had walked in on her father banging his twenty-five-year-old secretary. Zipper undone as he pounded into the girl whose skirt was hitched up to her chest.

"Good luck at the pep rally, darling." He said, affectionally placing a hand on Juliet's shoulder. "Thanks, Dad."

It was hard loving a man you knew was no good.

After the death of her brother, both of her parents lost themselves. Her mom, never truly happy ever again and her dad turning to drink in secret and having many affairs.

Juliet didn't keep her dad's affair from her mom to spite her, instead it was at her dad's request. He had cried, pleaded, begged, Juliet not to say anything. Had told her it was a one time thing, a mistake, that it would never happen again. Assured her how heartbroken her mom would be if she found out, that it was better off she didn't know.

The only thing Juliet knew was that she didn't want her mom to hurt more than she already had and so she didn't tell her.

Though she loved her dad, she still despised him for what he had done. Life had already been difficult enough, did he really have to do this? Risk breaking up their family. Sure, they were already a pretty broken family with one of them missing, but at least it was a family. Some people weren't so lucky.