Day Forty Two

Beginne am Anfang

"No. You can tell me. Trust me. Remember. You can trust me." I turned his head so he was looking me in the eye.

"I-I....do...." I went to grab his hands.

"Please." It was quiet between us for a long time. People were filing in the courthouse and we were the dimple in the crowd. He kept glancing between his lawyer and me.

"I gave them up. I gave everyone up."

"What? Why?" His fingers brushed against my cheek.

"You're safe that way. Even if I can't see you anymore. Do you understand?"

"Yes. But I don't want to." He held my hand in his, his thumb rubbing against my skin.

"I'm going to be in witness protection. They didn't sentence me because I gave everyone up and there's proof that I was protecting you."

"You were protecting me." I held onto his shirt desperately.

"I shouldn't have started a relationship with you, Mitch. I would have finished the job and you wouldn't have gone through this." He pulled my sleeve up to look at the single mark where the needle broke skin. "How are you feeling?"

"Like I could go for another dose." Pure rage flashed in his eyes. "But you have to understand, I would have pushed you to have sex with me. You were my only real comfort. It didn't bother me that it was you. After I found out what you were to me, when you said that you loved me...." I fixed his tie. "I never wanted to leave. I will run till the ends of the earth with you." I got him to smile. He brought me close, putting his lips against my forehead in a long kiss.

"Scott, we need to leave." The lawyer called out for Scott. I grabbed Scott's hand when he moved away from me.

"Mitch-"

"I don't want you to leave. I want to have a life with you." I closed my eyes as he leaned over to kiss my cheek. When I opened my eyes, a tear slipped past.

"You can't have a life with a killer."

"No!" I went to reach for him as he walked away. His hands were shoved in his pockets and his head was looking at his feet. His lawyer led him into the courthouse. My mom's arm had wrapped around my waist to keep me from going after him.

"It's okay, baby boy." I wiggled out of her arms. I didn't know what I was feeling. There was a hint of betrayal stinging my heart.

"Mr. Grassi?" I looked up at the man who was questioning me. I kept picking at the wood of the stand. I didn't like the fact that I was being stared at by maybe a hundred people packed in this room. "How would you describe Mr. Hoying?" I looked towards the judge. He calmly nodded for me to continue.

"He's an asshole." The lawyer had a content smirk on his face with that answer. I saw him open his mouth to say something else. "But he's also kind. Some people don't see it but I did. Scott would do anything to keep me safe from people who were trying to hurt me."

"And you say you love Mr. Hoying?" I nodded. "Were you the first to say this?"

"He said it first."

"Did you have sexual relations with Mr. Hoying?" I nodded before realizing the man's back was turned to me.

"Yes."

"And who started those relations?" I thought about it. The first time Scott touch me was at the party. But he was completely wasted. The first time we were both sober, I asked for it.

"I did."

"And was that sex?"

"No."

"Can you tell us what the action was?" I turned to look at the judge.