sly fox/ disaster approaching

Start from the beginning

The fox's tails started swaying gently from side to side, creating the illusion of a live creature.

It looked like a snake. Naruto had a difficult relationship with snakes.

"Kurama?" He asked curiously upon receiving no answer from the kitsune. He moved even closer, reaching to pat one tail and this time was met with no resistance.

The fox's narrowed crimson eyes watched him carefully before any words left their mouth.

"I haven't told'em about Chōmei and Kokuo. Only shukaku and matatabi."

Naruto's hand goes still.

"What..?" He asks incredulously "Why?! why wouldn't you tell them something so important?"

  The dimly lit room goes quiet for a moment, as Naruto's question hang in the air for a few minute. Kurama's tails twitch and sway to the side and they finally get up, stretching and jumping down from the desk and away from the blonde who watched them in concern.

The fox padded around the room for a bit before jumping up to sit on a window still.

"I just wanted them to know how bad the situation is, I don't want them to freak out too much." They spoke, tone neutral and expression unreadable.

This form was really putting Naruto at a disadvantage...not that the one he was used to any more expressive, but still.

Naruto looked down at his fidgeting hands and back at the other. "You... you're not making much sense kurama.." he mumbled.

"Believe me Naruto, I know my siblings enough to guess just how they'll react." Kurama responded easily, all thought something else was starting to creep into their tone that was putting Naruto on edge."And I'll tell you, isobu's freakouts are not fun nor pretty." They ended their response with what could only be described as a bittersweet chuckle.

Suddenly Naruto felt a little out of place. It was always him with the heavy emotional baggage waiting to dump it all the second the redhead acknowledges it and it was rarely the other way around- fuck that, it was never the other way around.

"Hey- uh...you..um..." The blonde opened and closed his mouth a few times, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly. "Do you want to talk about it?" He finally managed to ask averting his gaze away.

Another short, packed, silence reigned over the room.

Naruto shifted from feet to feet, his fingers tangling up in the bottom of his shirt.

Kurama kept their quiet, as if considering the offer.

Finally the smaller one spoke nonchalantly.

"No, there is no need."

'oh...well there it goes.' the blonde thought slightly disappointed at the expected response. "Sure if that's what you want." He mumbled, turning his back to the window and occupying himself with searching for his missing jacket, which he discarded earlier without much care.

He stopped, surprised, when two arms circled around his chest from behind, and someone leaned against him. He could feel the heat radiating off of the other's body as they tightened their grip, pulling themself flush against him.

"Kurama?" He asked, extremely confused. "Are you oka-"

"Say, how long are you staying in suna?" Kurama cut him off.

Naruto frowned despite the flush that tainted his cheeks. He reached one hand and pressed it against one of the redhead's arms affectionately.

"A week and two days is the estimated time for this mission, I'll give it three more days and then I'll be back." He answered softly. "Why? Would you miss me?" He asked with a soft laugh, grinning as the other scoffed."What's the mission for anyway? You never told me." They asked, blatantly ignoring the question, yet Naruto wasn't bothered.