- I'm here for some probable deals, but my plans just got changed.

- How so?" I say confused.

Eddie takes a sip of whiskey before answering me.

"I'll stay with you, I'm not leaving until I'm sure you're safe."

I look at Eddie for a few seconds, eyes wide before I raise my arm towards Tina's house, I then speak up with a stutter.

"Oh... It's nice of you to worry about me but you should come inside instead... I'll be fine.

- No, don't worry about it."

Why was he acting like that with me? Why is he making so many innuendos to me, being protective of me but still saying we're just friends? Why does he make me squirm like that?

"Eddie?

- Mhm?

- Why won't you kiss me?"

Immediately the brunette sets his eyes on me, looking surprised. He starts stuttering, I laugh stupidly before speaking up.

"You do all this and you're not interested in me?

- It is not that! I mean uhm...

- It's not that I have a crush on you, but I'm really wondering why you're acting like this with me when you're not interested in me."

Eddie frowns before he starts talking.

"It's not that I'm not interested in you... It's... It's just... That I already have someone in mind! Yeah right, I already have someone in mind... I give this kind of attention to every other girl I know, not just you..."

I raise my eyebrows, before blinking slowly, I lower my head. Robin was right, she is always right. Eddie acts like that with all the other girls, I was just kidding myself. Anyway, it's not like i had a crush on him.

But deep down, I was a little disappointed. The affection he gave me made me feel loved and special.

"Oh... Okay." I said as I fidgeted with my fingers.

I feel Eddie take a deep breath before he starts talking.

"But, if I was interested in you and wanted to kiss you, I certainly wouldn't have done it right there when you're drunk."

I immediately look up at him, somewhat surprised and confused before I speak up.

"Why not?

- Because if I were to kiss you, I'd want you to remember it."

It's true that if he did it right now, I wouldn't remember it tomorrow morning. I awkwardly rest my head on Eddie's shoulder, feeling gently rambling.

"It's okay... I've never really had much luck with boys anyway, like with Billy."

I feel Eddie slowly move, he immediately speaks up.

"You shouldn't say that... A lot of boys in high school would dream of you talking to them. You're like a goddess in high school, girls dream of being in your shoes and boys dream of walking next to you in the hallways."

I stifle a laugh, before Eddie speaks up, somewhat hesitantly.

"You liked Billy?"

I immediately look down before a smile begins to form on my lips, I begin to play nervously with my hand.

"Yes, I loved him. He was my first love.

- Did he... did he know that?

- I had never told him, but I think deep down he knew. He knew it deep down. But he kept pretending he didn't know because he was afraid... Afraid of disappointing the people who love him."

Thinking back to all the moments I had spent with him, I keep talking.

"He was the person I loved the most. I felt comfortable, I told him everything. When my mom died, and my dad started to get violent with me, he would make me spend the nights at his house after school so my dad wouldn't hurt me."

I paused for a long time, the tears were threatening to fall but I tried to hold them back, not wanting to show my weaknesses.

"My dad didn't like Billy, he kept saying it was his fault my mom died.

- What do you mean?

- My... My mom died the day I got into a motorcycle accident with Billy. He had saved up for months to buy his bike, he put me on it for a ride, we crashed. The hospital called my mom, she rode to the hospital and she was in an accident too, she died instantly according to the autopsy."

I immediately feel Eddie's hand gently slide over my shoulder, caressing it, showing me his comfort.

"I found out she died three days after my accident, when I came out of the coma. I blamed myself, at first my dad told me it wasn't my fault, but Billy's, he's hated him ever since. But it wasn't his fault, it was mine."

I feel a tear bead on my cheek, I immediately wipe it away with my hand before I hear Eddie speak.

"It's not your fault...

- It is. It's all my fault. And then Billy died, on July 4, 1985. July and August were tough. I didn't leave my house, my father started beating me, and then school started in September. It was a new beginning, I had to keep my place as "queen of the school", I took it upon myself, I dated Liam, but I don't think I loved him, I loved being loved by him, because I needed it. Today I've grieved my mother's death and Billy's death. I understood that he was not coming back. And I'm better, I'm ready to become happy, and maybe fall in love again, even if I have to end up hurt in the end."

Eddie remained silent, he kept stroking my arm, and that was fine. Just silence, I didn't want him to say anything about it. I didn't mind him pointing something out, but the silence soothed me.

"Your videotape player excuse was wrong? You just didn't want me to run into your dad?"

I hesitate for a few seconds before nodding positively, Eddie stifling a laugh before I spoke up, embarrassed.

"I'm sorry.

- No, it's okay. I totally understand."

I suddenly feel a weight on my head, Eddie had just placed a kiss on my hair before speaking up.

"You're strong Cassie... And I'm proud of you."

I smile softly before looking up at Eddie, he smiles back at me. He speaks up.

"If... If your dad starts hitting you again, I'm here. If you want to talk about it, or run away to my house, I'd be happy to have you stay in my little mobile home."

I laugh softly before thanking him, Eddie continues to speak.

"I didn't think you'd been through all this... I'm surprised. Seeing you in high school, I didn't think you were hiding such heavy secrets, I admire you a lot."

I smile softly before resting my head on Eddie's shoulder, we remain silent for a few long minutes. The silence wasn't awkward, on the contrary, it was soothing for both of us. Eddie finally speaks up.

"Shall I drop you off at your place? he asks.

- Yes, I'd like that."

Eddie helps me up, we walk towards the van before getting in and driving away.