41

Wei Ying dealt with Jiang Cheng's frustration that was side lined towards him the entire morning classes. it was taught by a subsitute, because Lan Qiren was a bit...preoccupied. He knew that Jiang Cheng was angry, and frustrated, and did not really know what he was doing, nor why the Jiang Sect Leader and his wife were even there, and even more irate, likely at least, that XiChen had forced them to wait to receive them. Personally Wei Ying had almost laughed when he heard it from the young Nie boy, but he had not been that sacrificial. Jiang Cheng had practically been storming around after hearing the news. Almost everyone gave him a rather wide berth, and even Wei Ying tried to distance himself from the Heir as much as possible.

That lunch period, Wei Ying was reluctantly heading to the pavilion before he got way laid by XiChen and Lan Zhan. Lan Zhan hummed, turning his gaze to the Jiang heir, veiled disgust in his eyes so prominent even Nie Huaisang managed to see it, though the Heir seemed to be almost entirely oblivious. Wei Ying wanted to comfort Lan Zhan, but he was not entirely sure that was overly appropriate given the company that they were with. He glanced to the side, not wanting to throw anyone under the bus. What if they didn't approve of the reunion? If that was the case, Wei Ying knew, he would just defect. It would solve more problems than it caused. He was determined, though, because the Lan did approve, and while he would prefer that the Jiang just agree, as it would make things simpler than having to formally defect, he was willing to do it if he had to.

"The Jiang Sect Leader and the Madam have left the Cloud Recesses." XiChen said calmly. Wei Ying stared in shock, not having expected things to be completed so easily. He had dealt with Jiang Cheng's poor mood all night and morning when they were not allowed in the Cloud Recesses immediately. Nothing anyone said would dissuade the Heir from being angry. Wei Ying had known that it was a useless endeavor, but he had tried valiantly nonetheless, or risk seeing Yanli's upset face. He did not feel like dealing with that, but every time he tried to explain to Jiang Cheng why it was that the Leader and Lady were not allowed in the Cloud Recesses, but he had not been willing to listen, which really only frustrated him, but there was nothing more that he could have done. Jiang Cheng had fallen asleep in a bad mood, and Wei Ying had been despondent.

This morning his mood had only gotten worse, despite the fact that they had known that the Lord and Lady would be speaking with XiChen in the morning. Wei Ying had given up trying to keep him from lashing out when his first attempt had given him a slap to the cheek, something which Yanli had looked at and merely sighed with. Wei Ying did not know when it was that he stopped making excuses for her, maybe it was before Lan Zhan, but really he felt that it was not. Lan Wangji had truly changed his ideals on...well...everything. He used to really question himself, but Lan Wangji was amazing. Although, he would say that perhaps their confession to each other was a little bit...rushed. He was grateful for everything that Lan Wangji and that Lan XiChen were doing for him...he knew that it was tedious.

"Have they now?" Jiang Cheng grit his teeth, anger clear in every fiber of his being. He would not risk saying anything more, though, Wei Ying knew, though Huaisang was clearly not nearly as sure as he continued to glance towards the Jiang Heir, nerves obvious in his eyes, not to mention that he was slightly inching away from the Yunmeng leader to be.

"Yes, I escorted them to the barrier. The agreement has been made, Young Master Wei." XiChen said politely. "You and my brother will begin their courting once Uncle makes the announcement, which will be within the end the day. Be glad, Young Master Jiang, Young Master Nie, you are the first to know." Huaisang stared with wide eyes towards Lan Wangji and Wei Ying. Wei Ying was positively glowing, and...well, it was not quite a smile on Lan Wangji's face, but well Huaisang could have sworn that he looked less likely to murder everyone than he normally did.

"Wait, that was why Mother and Father came to Gusu?" Jiang Cheng scoffed, turning to stare at Wei WuXian, momentarily forgetting who their audience was. XiChen turned his head to the side, assessing Jiang Cheng carefully. The other seemed almost disbelieving.

"Yes, it was, that was why Jiang Fiengmen and his wife came to the Cloud Recesses." XiChen answered diligently. His words were coldly polite as he spoke. "Why else would they desire so badly to come here, and with such urgency as well? I am sure you are aware of how complex these things are, and planning them is even more difficult at best. I thought that Young Master Wei informed you of the impending courtship between himself and my brother." Xichen's words cut through Jiang Cheng, who now realized what exactly he had said...and who he had said it in front of.

"I just...thought he was messing around, as per usual, I did not think that he was serious." Jiang Cheng stated, a stressed laugh echoing from his lips. XiChen gave him a thin smile in response.

"I do not see why Young Master Wei would joke about something like that, considering how serious it is, and from what I have managed to gather, and playful as he can be, he does seem to be more than able of being serious. Furthermore, given the amount of time that my brother and Young Master Wei have spent with each other, I can only assume that it has already led to some gossip among the Guest Disciples." A small look towards Nie Huaisang as he said this was all the reprive that Jiang Cheng was given in the icy stare of the Lan Sect Leader. Jiang Cheng did not seem to know what to do with that, and lapsed into silence. "Either way, Young Master Wei, my Uncle wishes to speak with you, which was why I am here."

"Oh, yes, of course Sect Leader Lan!" Wei Ying hastily said, fingers slightly trembling as he spoke. "I will meet up with you two later, I have to go." He was grateful for the chance to escape Jiang Cheng. Although, the nerves about what exactly it was that Lan Qiren may wish to speak with him on was unnerving at best.