Chapter Twenty-Four: "The Company Of Wolves"

Start from the beginning

Dwight nodded, collecting his medical stuff and bullets that he'd pulled from Jack as he answered grimly. "They do. I'm a prisoner. They keep me around because I can heal them. They are still debating about you..." Jack stared at the many werewolf eyes that glared at him from all around. Shrugging, he asked nervously. "So? Why haven't they killed me?" Dwight sat more comfortably before the fire, regaling openly. "Because of your wolf. He's quite found of you. Attacked an old fling of his for you. Not sure what his fling wanted... but when I put you out, he got really aggressive, and your wolf clashed with him." Jack rolled onto all fours and crawled toward Mark, prompting some growls from the other werewolves. Dwight raised his hands, innocently informing him. "They both are fine. I healed them. First time I've seen him fight the Alpha." Jack put a hand on Mark's side, looking back at Dwight as he said curiously. "Who won?" Dwight stoked the fire, answering coolly. "It was a tie. Zen was called away by the scouting party. Although, some might say that Mark would have won." Jack bit his lip, mumbling to himself. "He did that for me...?"

Jack stroked Mark's warm furry head, watching him go from panting in his sleep to closing his mouth and whining softly. Dwight's voice was almost a whisper, when he told him lightly. "I don't know what you did to him... but I've never seen him so agitated." Jack huffed, telling him with an innocent shrug. "I didn't do anything. We just..." Dwight smirked, looking around at the werewolves before informing Jack seriously. "My father used to tell me to be careful. He'd say that us, moonchildren, were born with a gift. A gift that wolves are drawn too. While some want the taste of the moon to cure themselves and be free. Others desire the company." Jack felt Mark's chest rise and fall under his hand steadily, but asked Dwight softly. "Why would they desire our company more than anyone else?" Dwight flexed his fingers, answering with a small smile. "The wolf spirit they harbor is a restless one. It reflects the soul of the person. Whether good or bad. Both types of the wolf are hungry for something. Moonchildren grant the wolf spirit peace. Whether with their death or with their affection. Just depends on the wolf... as to what they chose to take from you. Or what you chose to give them."

Dwight sighed, adding a bit grimly. "My mother was a moonchild. She fell in love with my father who was a werewolf. To save my father's life. She gave her own to a wolf that came for a cure." Dwight met Jack's eyes, finishing off in admiration. "That was the last time that I saw my mother as my dad took me away. The wolf's Pack closing in on our house... My father was never the same. His spirit was broken. Loving my mother had done something to him. Bonded him to her. Losing her... slowly killed him. But I envied the way he loved her. I see it in him. It's a small spark... but it's there. He's in love with you." Blushing, Jack rubbed his healed wound and just stared at Mark. He already knew that about him, but he just didn't know if he wanted to return those feelings. Mark's padded hand moved across the floor until it touched Jack's leg and stayed there. Petting Mark's head, he slowly leaned in to kiss his warm furry temple. After the kiss, Jack put his forehead down on Mark's, exhaling heavily as he listened to just the sounds of the crackling fire. The world just seemed to fade away, until a loud gunshot rang off in the distance.

Jack jerked his head up and Mark in turn was startled awake. The other werewolves growled, inching closer toward the entrance like they might join the fight. Jack briefly waited for more shots but didn't hear anymore. Turning his head to look at Mark, he couldn't stop himself from smiling. Mark was only looking at him with big puppy eyes. When their eyes met, Mark whimpered so softly before licking his cheek gingerly. Wrapping an arm around Mark's neck, Jack leaned against him and whispered out in a comforting voice. "I'm alright. Thanks to you." Mark's arm wrapped around him, pulling him closer against him. Jack snuggled into his warm fur, until he felt a patch of his fur that was matted and sticky. Pulling his hand back, he looked at his palm and shuddered. Mark's side was soaked in blood. His blood from when he carried him. Mark leaned in to sniff his palm, before snorting and turning his head to rest his head on Jack's shoulder. Jack closed his fingers, asking Dwight just to confirm something. "You said that Mark attacked Zen. Zen is the Alpha? Not Arlynn?" Dwight responded with a light chuckle. "Ya. Zen is Arlynn's rival."

Mark whined softly, but Jack pet him to comfort him. From the way Mark was acting, it made him think that Mark didn't intend for this. Walking over to them, Dwight set down a bowl of hot water and a cloth, telling Jack nicely. "Here. Now that he's up and calmer. Try to clean him up a bit. Blood is a nightmare to remove from fur when it's dry and he won't be changing back for a few more hours." Thanking him, Jack soaked the cloth and coaxed Mark to turn enough that he could start cleaning the blood off him. Mark watched him work, his puppy eyes meeting his timidly like he wanted desperately to say something but couldn't. Giving him a smile, Jack booped his nose and chuckled out. "Relax. We're safe for now, right?" Mark glanced at the entrance wearily but gave him a confident nod. Jack took his time cleaning Mark's fur, then when he finished, he used another cloth to dry him. Mark leaned against him more in more, his padded hands rubbing Jack's sides and arms so tenderly. He was in such a cuddly mood. Setting the towel down, Jack whispered to him sweetly. "Are you ok? You seem... grim. Are you hurt?" Mark shook his head, lifting his padded hands to cup Jack's face.

Jack winced a little at how rough the thick wolf pads on his hands were. Yet, the fur was so silky smooth and warm. Mark kept his thick dulled nails away from Jack's skin, before leaning in to press his lips to his. Jack giggled, pushing Mark back after a brief kiss. Mark moved his hands off him, staring at them with pained expression. Realizing that he might have hurt him, Jack took ahold of his wrists, telling him warmly. "No. Mark, it's ok. I just... Let me see you." Putting his hands to Mark's palms, he wanted to really get a look at the difference between them. His hand felt so small and thin compared to Mark's hand. Allowing his fingertips to bend down over the tips of Jack's fingers. Their hands were so similar and yet so very different at the same time. Turning Mark's hands down, Jack ran his hands slowly up Mark's wrists to his arms. Loving how Mark's silky fur moved between his fingers and the strength in his muscles. Mark tilted his head, enjoying how Jack's hands ran up his neck and up to his soft warm ears. Rubbing his ears a little playfully, Jack saw Mark's tail wag with excitement. Pulling on his ears very gently, Mark tilted his head back and Jack leaned in to kiss a spot under his jaw.

Jack let his kiss linger, feeling Mark gulp as his tail wagged more. When he finally pulled his lips back, Jack whispered to him a little anxiously. "Mark...? Did you really fight Zen to protect me?" Mark nodded, letting out a long whine that sounded like a light 'ya.' Jack smirked, rubbing his nose to Mark's big nose and loving how Mark's tail sprang up off the floor to wag fast and giddily. Jack thought about kissing him again, until a bunch of werewolves rushed into the cave. The largest one dropping a blooded human on the floor in front of Dwight. Jack didn't recognize the man, but Mark let out a distressed yelp. Dwight gasped, getting to his feet as he blurted out. "Oh, shit... I knew this was going to happen... Zen, you idiot..." Jack looked between Dwight and Zen, asking aloud. "Was he shot with silver? Did they use my blood?" Dwight huffed, pressing his fingers to Zen's neck as he told him a bit gruffly. "Both. Your blood was on Mark... Zen fought him... He's not only shot... He's been cured." To Be Continued...