"We're not kids anymore, SJ. We're both consenting adults," she reminded him.

"I...I know. It just takes some getting used to, squaring the you I remember with the woman you are today."

"I hope you like what you see."

"I do. Very much." He took a sip of beer. "Since we're sort of on the subject...in a relationship?"

She shook her head. "I didn't have time. I had a single-minded focus on working and saving money to start my business."

"But–"

"If you want to know if I 'had my needs met,' then yes. I had...casual arrangements. Booty calls. That sort of thing." She leveled him a straightforward stare. "Does that put you off?"

He shook his head. "It surprises me, but no, it doesn't put me off."

"Really."

"I think I'm starting to realize that the saint I remember from school must've been an image I put together myself." He leaned closer and smiled at her. "But the real person is so much more interesting."

That elicited a genuine smile from her. "And you?"

"Couple of long-term relationships. One in pastry school, one after. Neither survived my years with Wacky and Liam."

"What's the deal with those two?"

He toyed with his beer bottle. "They're foodie tech bros, is the best way I can put it. They own Down & Dirty Food Concepts, and I do mean concepts–they're more interested in putting up restaurants with a trendy gimmick, rather than good food."

"I take it that's where you clashed."

He nodded. "When they took me on as pastry chef, I'd been bouncing from line cook job to job. All were nose-to-the-grindstone drudgery. I needed an outlet for my ideas and put up a little pop-up at a Christmas bazaar that they happened to be at. On the spot, they offered me a deal. Develop desserts for their different restaurants. Full creative control." He winced as he sipped at his beer. "Should've realized it was too good to be true."

"They do look a little...mandurugas."

He chuckled. "They wanted flash; complicated-sounding menu descriptions; anything to hop on the latest trend so we could charge premium prices while using cut-rate ingredients. And they kept opening concept after concept; I was burning out. Eventually we had such a huge fight at one of their bars that I...kind of aimed a sugar blowtorch at Liam's face."

"SJ!"

"In my defense, it was at the lowest setting and ten inches away from him. At least."

"And what did we learn from this little debacle?"

"Never threaten physical harm to your boss. I guess that significantly weakens the case your labor lawyer aunt is putting together."

"Oh. That?" She giggled. "I made that up."

"Ling!"

"What? They were really annoying and didn't want to go away. I used my wits!"

He looked at her so fondly she felt a little melty herself. "I'm really enjoying getting to know you again."

"Likewise." She lifted her beer bottle. "To finding our past loves."

He lifted his own bottle. "To succeeding on our own terms."

She toasted him. "I can get behind that."

"And..." He grinned sheepishly. "To starting something new. If that's okay with you, that is."

Her smile stretched from ear to ear. "Why not? I think we understand each other," she said.

"The business comes first."

She nodded. "No switching suppliers."

He laughed out loud. "Are you kidding? I will never switch. As long as you always give me a discount."

"Within reason!" she countered.

"I know no one buys pinasugbo, so if you'll always throw in a pack for every order..."

She pretended to mull things through. "Tell you what. I'll give you a frequent user card. You get a stamp per order. For every ten stamps, you get a free pack of pinasugbo."

He shook his head and leaned over the table to get closer to her. "You drive a hard bargain, Miss Ling." He kept approaching, his lips drawing nearer to hers. "But I accept. There's one thing I need to seal the deal."

She couldn't help but draw closer to him as well. And then her hand grazed the rice container. "Wait! I just ate garlicky chorizo!"

"Even better," he murmured, and this time one hand closed around her shoulder in a gentle, reassuring touch. "My favorite tastes in the world."

Their lips met, a collision of sweet and savory, salt and bitterness. It tasted like their past; and like the future they were both hoping to meet. It tasted like their favorites. It tasted of their hesitation, of their longing, of the risk they were both taking. It tasted of their budding, emerging love.

"There now," she breathed as they finally broke apart. "Now the deal is done."