Chapter One

A pair of green eyes watched as nature and houses alike whizzed past. Stare glued to the window, sitting in the passenger seat, Nora observed as her surroundings appeared and were left behind too fast to focus on anything specific. This was their new home, in a whole new town and state. And her brother was driving so fast she couldn't even attempt to memorise the path from their house to the school they'd be attending.

However, she knew better than to say anything. Nothing ever came from complaining about Billy's driving. If anything, it would only make him speed up. And if she complained about the music which was so loud, she thought her eardrums might burst, he'd only make it louder. Not to mention the nauseating cigarette smoke. She was happy that he was at least attempting to let the smoke out through the window.

Sighing as she tried and failed to read a banner about some town event, Nora's eyes glanced to the side mirror, locking onto the reflection of her stepsister occupying the back seat. Just as annoyed as Nora was, Max's eyes rolled dramatically as she glared at the back of Billy's head, the eldest Hargrove remaining completely oblivious.

It was a lucky thing that Hawkins was so small. It made the two girls' torment a short one. With Billy's fast and reckless driving, it wasn't long before the high school building came in sight. Nora wasn't sure whether to celebrate the end of the car-ride coming close, or to lament the fact that she'd be faced with a bunch of staring and judging looks from her peers as soon as she got out of the vehicle.

If she ever had a chance to get out of it in one piece. The way in which Billy rounded a corner, seemingly without even acknowledging the car had breaks, gave her some pause. He pulled over in the nearest parking spot, she thought he was about to hit the car that had been parked next to them. She thought this every time Billy's driving made her think they were about to crash. And every time, luckily, she was proven wrong. And yet, she also let out a relieved breath, as subtle as possible, every time. She could never be sure when Billy's luck would run out. She only hoped she wouldn't be in the car with him at the time.

Billy didn't bother to spare either Nora or Max a glance as he jumped out of the driver's side, making the two girls scramble quickly before he locked the car with them still inside. Carefully pushing open the passenger door so she doesn't hit the car next to them, Nora proceeded to pull down the front seat so Max could climb out from the back. The redhead put her skateboard to the floor, ready to ride off in seconds but Nora's voice forced her to stop as the brunette slammed the door of the car closed.

"Good luck on your first day, kiddo." Nora spoke, sending Max a reassuring smile. She knew that, even though the younger girl wasn't outwardly showing it, she was nervous about her first day just as much as Nora was.

"Thanks, you too." Max gave Nora a wide smile before stepping up on the skateboard and rolling away as fast as she could. Nora watched her go, shaking her head with an amused smile. She was ready to place bets on how long it would be before Max got scolded or even landed in detention for moving around on that thing in the halls. Just like last time back home, Nora'd be the one to bail her out of it.

Thinking of siblings, the Hargrove started to step away from the car and head towards the school, eyes searching for her twin brother who by now was miles ahead of her. He didn't care to wait for her or stick around, instead, rudely pushing his way through some of the students that loitered around the entrance of the school. She knew it wouldn't be long before he too got himself into some kind of trouble too. And she'd be covering it up for him too. She always did.

With a sigh, Nora finally moved from where she'd been sticking to the car and headed in the direction of the high school entrance herself. She ignored the stares she was receiving from other students. It was something she expected from the moment their dad and Susan announced the move. Two months into the school year. That alone made it impossible to keep away from prying eyes and avoid being noticed. Add to that the fact that Hawkins was a tiny town where nearly everyone knew each other from the moment they're born, Nora knew she stuck out like a sore thumb.

Moving through the front doors, Nora ignored the whispers she knew were following after her and instead, confidently walked through the halls. She'd made sure to get all of her papers (schedule, locker number and combination, and a map of the school) in the week before her first day. She didn't need to stick out even more by being the cliché new kid who didn't know their way around. So, with no need to go to her locker yet, and her schedule and map memorised by now, Nora didn't have any issue finding her first class of the day.

She did take it a bit slower than necessary, checking the number on each classroom door just so she wouldn't walk into the wrong one. Although perhaps that was just another method to delay the inevitable. This wasn't her first time in a new school. You usually hear stories about the first day and lunch in the cafeteria but finding a place to sit in class could be just as messy. And two months into the school year, Nora knew most seats were probably claimed as regulars.

So, when she walked in, Nora did her best to figure out which seat might be at least somewhat available, in the end, picking one in the far back of the classroom as quickly as she could. With empty seats on each side of her, Nora focused on herself, letting her hair obscure her face from prying eyes as she pulled out a notebook and pen while waiting for the teacher to arrive and start the class. Doodling stick figures and odd shapes on one of the empty pages, the Hargrove didn't notice as, yet another student entered the classroom, eyes getting stuck on her for a few long moments. Or better said, on his usual seat which she now occupied.

Nora remained oblivious to his looks, only able to hear the sound of a chair scraping against the floor next to her a couple of moments later. She didn't really bother to look up or acknowledge the person now occupying the desk next to hers. She didn't come into a new school two months into her senior year expecting to make lifelong friends, so why bother? She'd be out of here and off to college in seven months anyways. Seven months weren't worth the hassle she'd have to endure if Billy disapproved. Like he always did.

However, the person next to her didn't seem to get the message she tried to convey through ignoring him. "Hey, you're one of the new kids, right?" Even though the answer was pretty obvious, Nora was still appreciative that he asked it to her face instead of whispering about it as if she couldn't hear him. And, not wanting to be rude, she looked up from her notebook with a small smile.

Looking to her left, she was met with a smiling face of a brown eyed boy. His head full of hair looked like he put more effort into it than even Billy did with his own. Something Nora, until now, thought impossible. He was handsome, she couldn't deny it, and obviously one of the popular kids, if the numerous sports club pins decorating his backpack were anything to go by. Popular kids usually flocked to her brother, not her. But still, Nora didn't want to be rude and so, she smiled back at the boy.

"Yeah, I'm Nora." She said politely.

"Well, welcome to Hawkins High, Nora. I'm Steve." He introduced himself, hand extending towards her and after a few moments, Nora accepted it and shook it with a small smile on her face.

Steve's curiosity about the new students was palpable, and soon came out in a string of questions as they sat at their tables waiting for the teacher to arrive. "Where'd you move from?" "How are you liking Hawkins so far?" and the usual introductory questions spilled out. Nora's answers came just as easily up until the point their conversation was interrupted.

Most of the class turned quiet as they began to listen to the woman as she droned on about Mary Shelley, Frankenstein, and its significance in the time period during which it was published. Unlike Nora, Steve didn't pay any attention and instead pulled out the papers on which he had written out his college essay, looking over all of the marks and notes Nancy left on it and giving out a deep breath that almost made Nora turn to him and ask what was wrong. The key word being almost... But she didn't.