Chapter 4 - Reunion

Start from the beginning

"No need to be so formal Koenig, we're not really in any official meeting right now, although when we see the Lieutenant General, that's likely to change." Weiss replied, turning to the third former member of the 203rd, Wilibald Koening.

"By Lieutenant General you mean...?"

"Yep Lieutenant General Tanya Degurechaff."

"I'm still not used to her having such a rank, although I expected it would happen eventually."

"If I heard right, you remained in the army, didn't you, Koenig?" Neumann asked, also turning his head towards Koening as he entered the discussion.

"That's right, although I got reassigned from the 203rd elsewhere. I've gotten a lot more time off than during the war that's for sure though. I heard Visha got a job at some cafe though, did any of you hear about that?"

"Probably from all the times she made the former Major's coffee, she was probably an expert by the time the war was over." Weiss said, giving a soft chuckle to himself.

Koenig spoke up, "Visha always saw her in a very positive light, it's honestly quite surprising she wasn't outright terrified of some of her other qualities..."

"Yeah like how terrifying her training was... They worked certainly, but that didn't make them any less traumatizing..." Neumann added.

"I still get shivers thinking about it, I'm almost terrified of shoveling snow." Koenig muttered, practically shivering slightly.

"We should probably get ready, we're flying out to meet with the rest of the unit here soon, I believe we're taking off to Oukraina where we'll be briefed before flying as a unit along with others to the Qin." Weiss began gathering his items, placing his backpack that he had brought around his arms and preparing for his flight.

Neumann began doing the same, although his bag was a bit less bulky than Weiss's, "Yeah, I have a few small things I need to do before takeoff. It was nice meeting with you two before we left. I can only wonder what that woman will put us through in the next few months. One thing's for sure; it will certainly be interesting."

May 20th, 1936; 12:02 PM

Imperial East Asian Military BaseQingdao, Treaty-Port of the Empire

"Members of the 203rd Aerial Mage Battalion! I am Lieutenant General Tanya von Degurechaff, formerly the head commander of this battalion as well as later the Salamander Kampfgruppe this battalion served under. Of course, if any of you forgot who I was, I'll be sure to jog your memories."

Tanya makes a slightly creepy grin before continuing, "Allow me to be the first to say, welcome back to the battalion! I'm aware not everyone was able or willing to rejoin us on our reunion expedition, however for those who have returned or remained, let me just say that it's clear you're the same buffoons that you were when I left you. But you're still buffoons who are the damned best mages in the Empire!"

A couple of the mages laugh a bit, however settle down as Tanya gestures for them to do so with her hand, "Now I'm sure you're all wondering why I've dragged you out of your nice summer homes in the Empire. Well the truth is that war is on the horizon, and being the war-hungry dogs you are, I've decided to bring the 203rd with me on a special summer vacation."

She takes a few steps to the side, pointing at the map formerly behind her as she stands slightly to its side, "I'm sure many of you are aware of the conflict occurring over here, for those of you who aren't, I'll give you a summary. Akitsushima seeks to expand their domain into the Qin territory, and the Qin don't want that, any further questions?"