Chapter 4 - Reunion

May 15th, 1936; 2:12 PM
Berun Military Airbase
Outskirts of Berun, the Empire

It had been a long while since he had received orders like this, and even longer since he had received a direct order from them, but if anything that only instilled a sense of nostalgia, giving him a sense of excitement despite the terrors he would probably face going back. The 203rd had effectively disbanded after the war, only existing in a mostly ceremonial fashion, with many of its members leaving the army afterwards or being assigned elsewhere. Of course, given the eliteness of the 203rds members, General Staff had a key eye on all of them, meaning that if they had to be reassembled, they could be easily.

Of course, he had expected it eventually, given how much they did during the last war, and the likelihood of another one, the Empire would want to get the 203rd running again sooner or later, however it's quite surprising just how effective they were in even getting some of the members who left the army to rejoin. Although if he had to guess, it was likely her doing.

As for himself, after the war he remained in charge of the 203rd, although he in reality was much more one of the people who trained the new mages rather than leading the battalion. Now of course, he was again in charge of the 203rd in reality as well, though... Was the 203rd really needed all the way in Qin? What the hell is going on in East Asia to warrant the Empire's intervention? Is war really that close?

He didn't have time to ponder it for long as he heard a familiar voice behind him; "Hey Weiss! How have you been?"

The voice was hard to mistake, although it had changed a bit in the years since they had last met;

"First Lieutenant Neumann! I am well, thank you for asking, it's clear you haven't changed much since I last saw you." Officially he was referring to Neumann's character, in reality he was talking about Neumann's appearance as he still had the same round face as before. He was just as big too, however his bulk was always more muscle than fat, it's hard to maintain fat on the battlefield after all.

"I hope that's a compliment, sir. I'd say the same but you've certainly aged much more than I have, I hope the army's been treating you well."

"That it is, Neumann, though I suppose I should take a nice long vacation on the beaches of the Baltic, that would be nice."

"I'm afraid it seems we're stuck with the beaches of the Pacific for the next few months, Major."

"I suppose that will have to do. How have you been keeping up? You left the army after the war if I recall correctly?"

"Yep, I left and bought a nice home by the shore, you should come visit sometime, there's a nice bar down the street we can have some drinks at. Maybe we can even get her to come, you know how angry she was back when she wasn't allowed to enter the bar back during the war because she was a minor."

He gave out a hearty laugh, "The Lieutenant General? Yes that was quite entertaining, although I'm not even sure if she knew we heard her bickering with the bouncer. Regardless, she's more of a coffee person, I haven't heard much about her, but I don't see her being the beer-type. Maybe wine though..."

"Shame, I was curious how the 'Devil of the Rhine' holds her alcohol."

"I'd imagine better than you, Neumann." He gives Neumann a glance, and he seems mildly annoyed and amused.

"We don't talk about that time Weiss, I keep telling you there was something in that beer, I refuse to believe otherwise."

"You keep telling yourself that."

Another familiar voice called out and approached the two rapidly, stopping before Weiss and giving him a firm salute, "Major Weiss! It is good to see you again."