Chapter one

The car ride to school seems to go by so fast that right as I start to drift off into the thoughts about yesterday, we are already in the school parking lot.

The hallway is filled with noise that I try to block out. As I get to my locker I can't help but feel a little pain as I try to forget who my locker neighbor is. Brendan. Ever since the movies yesterday he hasn't left my mind. How could I, Ella Peterson, ever think that a popular guy like Brendan would like me! When I open my locker there is an unexpected note. As I open it the sight makes everything slowly disappear until the only sound I hear is the blood rushing through my ears.

Ella,

So sorry I couldn't make it yesterday. Mason gave me tickets to the celtics game and I knew you'd understand. I told him to text you from my phone and explain but he deleted whatever he said. I hope I didn't leave you waiting. Maybe we can hang out after school today?

-Brendan

The bell made me jump and I grabbed my binder and sprinted to English.

All of class I couldn't focus on anything other than the note. I knew that the text in the movies didn't sound like him and everything made better sense. We had been friends since kindergarten but lately his popularity had sky rocketed and he seemed to be leaving me in the dust. In the beginning of the year we talked less and less so he started to become friends with Mason, a jock who was never nice to anyone, his friends included.

It had been difficult for me to not have Brendan to talk to when I needed it. Alicia seemed to be my only friend. In the past week, Brendan had been trying to go to a movie and catch up. I could sense that he didn't want our friendship to end and it still confused me why it stopped in the first place.

In last period he passed me a note saying:

"Meet me in the library after school so we can catch up! -B"

When class ended I practically sprinted to my locker and darted to the library.