Chapter 27: The Past

TW! Some parts of this chapter might be sensitive or disturbing for some readers.
-----------------------------------------------

-flashback -

A week before Leonor flew back to the Philippines
Leila's POV

"Lei, kaya ko pa ba?" Leonor asked me through a phone call. "Kakayanin mo, Leonor. Makinig ka sa akin!" I replied as I rushed to get inside my car. "Natatakot ako," she said, sobbing her soul out. "Leonor! Listen to me! Breathe!"

Ang hirap-hirap. She's currently in NYC at nandito ako sa Pilipinas. How can I fly there instantly?! "Lei.." she whispered. "Maria Leonor! Do not put the phone down. Listen to what I'll say, okay?" I said but I didn't hear anything in response. "Leonor, whatever it is that you're going through, it shall pass. Your feelings are valid so let's talk it out."

I looked for my second phone and muted my mic for awhile, "Shit!!! Nasaan ba?!" I said to myself. I look under the car seats and I found it at the backseats.

I quickly dialed the NYC National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. "Someone pick up... Come on!" I can hear Leonor's sniffles.

I told them about Leonor and why she's currently on the Brooklyn Bridge. I didn't end the call until they were able to accompany her already. Lord please. I hit my car's steering wheel in annoyance that I couldn't be there for her. I unmuted, "Leonor?"

"Y-Yes?"

"Andito pa ako. You still have me, kaibigan mo. I love you. Please do not do it." I said, begging her already. "Pagod na ako. Ever- everything I do seems to be wrong. Parang wala na akong nagawang tama." she cried. "Leonor, listen. Some things don't work kasi there's always a better one coming. We just have to be patient."

"Palagi na lang ba akong maghihintay?" she asked. "Good things take time." I replied.

"Please step down, Leonor. Pag-usapan natin, okay?" I said and I heard her steps through the phone call. She ended the call. I panicked but without even a second, I received a message from the lifeline saying that they have her already. I breathed with relief and sighed. "Thank goodness." I accelerated my vehicle to head home already.

Tatawagan ko ulit siya later. I know she's in good hands now. My hands were still shaky dahil kinabahan ako for her. I don't want to lose my best friend. Mahal ko siya na parang kapatid. Losing her will make me lose 3/4 of my life.

-----

Sa may BGC ako dumaan since that's my way to my house in Taguig. As I drove through McKinnley Hills, I noticed a woman sitting on the sidewalk. It was like she's lifeless. She's wearing a dress tapos yung jacket at heels niya nasa sahig na. Nilakasan ko yung headlights ko. "Kawawa naman," I thought. I wore my face mask and rushed to exit my car.

"Miss, okay ka lang?" I asked her. I wasn't able to see her face kasi gulo-gulo yung buhok niya. "O-oo. I'm okay. You can leave me alone now." she said. Her voice was breaking suggesting that she had just cried. "Tulungan na kita." I said but she insisted that she'll stay there. "May naghihintay sa akin. I can't leave." she said. So, I let go of her.

I took steps backward but I watched her from the corner of the street. Baka mamaya, anong mangyari, she's defenseless.

A man approached her. "Sabi ko sayo wag mo na akong pupuntahan!" the man pulled her hair. Napahawak na lang ako sa bibig ko sa gulat. "Pinagmukha mo akong tanga! Bakit ka nakikipaglandian dun?!" she shouted back. "Bitch, I never loved you in the first place!" he fought back.

Buti na lang, may guard dun sa tapat. He saved the poor woman from that man. Sama naman ng ugali. Before things got worse, I rode back inside my car, "Lord, what is happening? Bakit ang daming nangyayari?" I whispered before I start driving again.

-----

The day after Leila and Leonor first met in the coffee shop

"Leonor, that barista yesterday was the one I told you about. Siya yung sinaktan ng lalaki dun sa BGC. I didn't see her face, pero her voice is clearly the same." I said. "I bumped to her today. Galing ata siya doon sa flower shop kung saan ka nanggaling. Sabi niya she received an eviction letter. Kaya ngayon, she's currently looking for a job."

"We were in trouble at the same time?" Leonor asked me and I nodded. "Pareho kayong at stake that time." sinagot ko siya. "Must've been hard for her too, ano?" she questioned again. "Nagloko ata yung lalaki kaya pinuntahan niya dun. Turns out, siya pa yung nasaktan sa kalsada that night," I said.

I know Leonor would understand that woman. She experienced something critical the exact moment that woman did too. Pareho silang sinubok ng mundo nung oras na yun. "How can I help her kaya?" she asked me already.

"I told her that she should try applying here. Baka pumunta yun mamaya. Last on the list ka daw. Hater mo pa ata." I laughed and she did too.

Leonor called the interviewer through the telephone and told him that as soon as he finds that woman to apply for the position, accept her instantly.

"Ayan. Kailangan na lang niya pumunta dito, pasok na siya agad." Leonor chuckled. See, I just know Leonor still has the heart despite her being a true wild and careless lion at work. "Hay salamat. May puso ka pa pala." I jestered.

"Tomorrow, act like you don't know her ha. Kunyari walang nangyari today," Leonor ordered and I nodded.

The Day After

I visited Leonor's office again. We heard a knock on the door. "Good morning, ma'am!" it was the woman already. "The barista?!" I faked.

Leonor began to introduce me and the woman to each other. I pretended as if I do not know her. That was Leonor's plan. She told the woman about some insights. Like kung ano man dapat i-expect niya as PA or assistant.

She left the room after some words with Leonor, "Ang dami mong nasasabi, Lei." Leonor rolled her eyes at me. "Did I lie, though? Madami kasi akong nalalaman." I said smirking. "Buti sana kung may magandang dulot yang mga nalalaman mo." we chuckled.

"You did good in pretending, Lei."

"Syempre. Ako pa ba?"

"Ana Theresia Hontiveros. Ang ganda ha," she said. Clearly, tinamaan na talaga siya dun sa babae. I just know that they're destined.

Two hearts who met and connected with each other while they have just broken into pieces. They can fix each other, I just know it.

- end of flashback -