Talia faced him, offering him a dazzling smile. "You have my number."

"It was the wrong number—"

"It's the right number," Talia reassured him. "I just ignored you."

Stephen let out a quiet huff of laughter. "Can I count on you to answer this time?"

"You'll have to wait and see," Talia told him, knowing he enjoyed the challenge.

Though, as she left, Talia had it in her mind that she would go on one date with Stephen, but it would be just the one date. Talia had a rule of no second dates or not letting anyone get close enough to her — a rule to protect herself and them.

However, one date had turned into a few more, then a few dates to a handful of months. Talia did not understand the spell Stephen Strange had put on her. Every time she thought about running, Talia would look over at him and see the way he looked at her, making her heart yearn for what she couldn't have.

In the couple of seasons of them being together, nothing had been official between them. Stephen knew everything about Talia, but nothing about her too. Of course, Talia was afraid that the mystery of Talia was what was fuelling the tension between them. If he found out the truth, would he leave?

Talia felt like she was in quicksand, slowly sinking, where the further she sunk, the less likely she could run. To fall in love would lead to being hurt. To stay would give Stephen a reason to leave.

There was no pressure with being with Stephen (other than Talia's constantly ticking mind). Most of the time, Stephen was too busy working at the hospital or studying. Talia had focused on her career too. So, when they both had a slither of time free, then they found themselves with each other.

At the start of spring, Talia had the opening night for her concert, where she was performing in an orchestra. Talia had spent months rehearsing for this moment, having never thought she would transition from playing in restaurants to a theatre so soon. Yet, she was now there, sparkling like a diamond under the spotlight, performing with an orchestra that cared about music as she did.

Talia did not have stage fright — she could not even see the audience with the blind lights — but she adored knowing that there were eyes on her. There was a small piano solo during the concert with Talia's heartbeat increasing with each key her fingers played.

It was when the concert ended — when their audience applauded — did she smile.

And then, outside, Stephen Strange had been there with roses, having made time to see her first concert.

Accepting the flowers, Talia did not think her heart or even the smile on her face could glow any further.

"Darling, you were incredible," Stephen told her.

Maybe she could glow a little bit more.

"I was, wasn't I?" Talia agreed, proud of herself too.

Stephen smiled at her confidence, hand sliding around her waist beneath her coat as he pulled her towards him, kissing her. Afterwards, his hands stayed around her waist, holding onto her as she met his gaze, witnessing his joy.

"You have no idea how proud I am of you," Stephen said.

For Talia, those words were so rare, as she felt her defences crumble slightly.

"You are?" Talia questioned, not quite trusting it.

"Of course, I am," Stephen told her. "This is everything you've ever wanted. So, to celebrate, I am taking you out to wherever you want to go."