MADNESS!

curiouser and curiouser

NADINE MCKINNON IS NOT CRAZY!

or:

in which the paranoid schizophrenic makes her great escape, and realises she had every reason to be as paranoid as she was

- INTRODUCING!

NADINE MCKINNON!aka[REDACTED]

NADINE MCKINNON!
aka
[REDACTED]

' i used to wonder if it really was all in my head '

a lab rat with a childhood so repressed she barely remembers it, and abilities that haven't been used in years

- SYNOPSIS!

There was something undeniably odd about Nadine McKinnon- it was a fact most people could gather from a single glance.

Not only was her physical appearance a slight deviation from normality (her left wrist constantly bandaged to hide the severe scarring, and the prosthetic she had as a right foot never failed to attract nosy stares), but even her mannerisms were strange.

Nadine had wide, curious eyes that appeared to be observing the world for the first time, and her hands always seemed to be poised at her sides - almost ready for action. She spoke in an odd mix of riddles and brutal honestly, as though undecided whether her language should be flowery and pleasing to the ear, or blunt and straight to the point.

If you were to meet her in the later years of her life, her overactive imagination and strange behaviour could easily be explained by her residence in Pennhurst Mental Institution, and her diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia with delusions of grandeur.

     They had told Nadine the reason she didn't remember the first twelve or so years of her childhood was because she was stuck in an abusive home. That she ran away until the proper authorities found her and put her in care.

     Apparently the trauma had manifested into severe and crippling mental illness, so debilitating that if allowed out of whatever hospital she was kept in, she would be a danger to herself and others.

     Pennhurst had a way of crushing a person's spirit, and Nadine felt herself wasting away inside the brick walls, taking pill after pill so her brain would be suitably mushy. And maybe it was the disease riddling her mind, planting ideas that would do nothing but cause more harm, but she was starting to wonder what life would be like away from the mental institution.

     So when two young women park their car so close to the bench Nadine is sat at (and her carer had rushed off to tend to an older woman trying to jump into the small pond), she sees a perfect opportunity to hitch a ride away from Pennhurst and Kerley County.

     A chance to leave the white pills and countless psychiatrists behind her- a chance to see if maybe she wasn't so crazy after all.

What Nadine wasn't expecting, was to be brought back to the small town she had escaped from seven years ago, and be forced to face a past almost as mad as her.

- SOUNDTRACK!

1. this charming man: the smiths
2. love will tear us apart: joy division
3. this is the day: the the
4. rock the casbah: the clash
5. echo beach: martha and the muffins
6. town called malice: the jam
7. stand and deliver: adam & the ants
8. how soon is now?: the smiths
9. pretty in pink: the psychedelic furs
10. 99 red balloons: nena

when you are insane, you are busy being insane- all the timesylvia plath

sylvia plath

- A/N!

did i watch all seven eps of season four in one day? yes. have i posted this on my burner account so i can have more fun with this? also yes.

so heres madness!

im actually kinda excited about this concept icl. nadine is such a cutie pie i luvluvluv her sm and im so excited to write about her coming to terms with her past, and her powers, etc.

anyway! some potential tws!
there will be talks surrounding mental health, hallucinations, etc, and people at the time being incredibly ignorant regarding those issues. there will also be canon typical talks of violence, gore, language, mature themes, etc
also as a bit if a heads up, there will be allusions to self harm- not deliberate and repetitive self harm but nadine did hurt herself in order to remove her number tattoo. stay safe babies xox