( two ) it's sort of a . . . reserved nickname.

Start from the beginning

"One, I don't play D&D, and two, I wouldn't be able to anyways?" Mackenzie guessed.

Mike straightened up and pointed at her. "Exactly. Plus, you're our best friend." He smirked slightly at her. "Come on, do it for Will. You know how much he loves D&D."

Mackenzie's eyes narrowed. She knew that Mike used that because she wouldn't be able to say no.

"Yeah, sure, whatever, I'll help you," Mackenzie agreed, and Mike and Dustin high-fived. "Who are we asking?"

Mike said nothing but reached forwards, grabbing her hand and pulling her down the hall with him. "Come on, you're with me. We'll meet you outside later, Dustin!"

Mackenzie rolled her eyes as she continued to get dragged. "Can you at least let me go? I'm not a puppy, I'm perfectly capable of following you without being on a leash."

Mike let her go. He continued to speed-walk down the hallway, but since his legs were a lot longer than Mackenzie's, she kept having to jog to keep up. Finally, they made it to where the school paper was made by the student journalists. Mike slammed the door open.

"Nancy!" Mike exclaimed.

Mackenzie and Mike entered, standing there awkwardly as the door shut behind them. Every head turned to face them. Mackenzie looked around the room, playing with the sleeve on her white cheer sweater. She caught eye of Nancy in the middle of the room, who were just staring at the two.

"Hi, Nance," Mackenzie greeted. "Mike and I came to ask if you wanted to join Hellfire tonight because they're short one."

Nancy said nothing but stare at them in anger. It was safe to say that the answer was no from her, so they moved on.

Mackenzie followed Mike to the wrestling gym, where they approached the only wrestler not practicing. She started to feel very uncomfortable in a gym with only boys in her cheer uniform. Mackenzie hid slightly behind Mike, whose arms were wrapped around his back to hold onto her forearms, reassuring her that it was okay. She shifted on her feet back and forth, looking around the room. Mackenzie could just feel the stares on her.

"So you fight with dice?" the boy asked after Mike had explained D&D to him.

"Yes, but these aren't your normal nice," Mike answered. "They have up to twenty sides."

That was also a no, and Mackenzie was just glad that she was out of that stupid gym. They then went to the chemistry lab. Mackenzie and Mike approached one of the students, where he asked the boy if he wanted to join.

"My mom says the game promotes Satanism and animal cruelty," the boy replied while pouring one substance into another.

Mackenzie almost laughed a that. Because Will Byers, the one who arguably liked D&D the most, a Satanist? That boy was the sweetest soul on the planet, and him getting into something that dark was damn near impossible.

"That's just bullshit media propaganda," Mike voiced.

The boy shrugged. "60 Minutes begs to differ."

Whatever he was mixing then sparked, creating a tall flame before it lowered. Mackenzie shook her head. They were getting nowhere.