Chapter 1

"Enemies off the starboard bow!" Cried Barron, the first mate with an edge of fear in his voice.

The captain quickly glanced back at him before they pulled their sword out of its sheath and ran to the side of the ship. Men were running around in a craze trying to get to the most strategic position to fend off the attackers. Many yells filled the air and thumping of feet on the deck as they ran around.

A ship approached them from a few hundred yards away. It was a decent size ship with clean, crisp white sails that glittered in the mid day sun. The ship was approaching fast, their cannons ready. Here they come...

"Ready the cannons men!"  

"Confederates!" Someone called above the noise. All the men on deck redied their swords, fire burning in their eyes. 

The ship was even closer now, so close the captain could almost see the blue fabric and gold buttons of the Confederate's uniforms.

The captain held their sword firmly as they lept up the steps. Battered brown boots landed firmly on the wood as the captain looked up at the helmsman Jack.

"Steer straight ahead, we're going to make sure that these cowards don't get what they came for." The captain said looking out defiantly upon the sea.

Jack looked over at the captain, gripping the wheel tightly. His scar covered knuckles were white due to his firm hold. "Aye captain." He said in a gruff voice.

"Good work" The captain gave his should a firm pat. As quickly as the captain had arrived, they left, leaping down onto the main deck. Men scurried around on deck as the captain passed, long coat almost dragging on the ground. The tip of the captain's sword could have easily struck one of its own, but it was held with grace, touching no one in its path.  

The confederate ship was approaching faster than expected and there would be cannon fire shortly. Looked around the captain saw the crew ready, gruff faces were hardened with experience that they had gained aboard the ship. They dipped their heads at the captain as they walked passed them, heading into the depths ot the ship. 

The captain slid down the steps that lead to the dark undercarriage if the ship. About ten men were loading the cannons with gunpowder and cannon balls. The light from the openings shone onto their faces.

"They're going to regret ever crossing our path." Capon said. He was a middle aged man hired while we were in Mexico five years ago. He was a loyal crewman. The captain nodded at him, face still.

"Are the cannons ready?" The captain asked going around to the seven cannons, checking them. They all looked superb and ready to fire. After cheking the last canon, the captain stuck their head though the hole to look outside the ship. The confederates were within firing range. "Let's let them fire first." The captain informed. They all nodded.

Running back up the steps that lead to the deck, Barron was waiting. His dark blue eyes were full of hunger for adventure. He always loved a good encounter with the confederates. The captain recalled that Barron had been the first mate of this ship even before Captain Bellamy had taken command. He had been the original Captain Bellamy's first mate, the current captain's father before he died.

"They're close" he murmured in the captain's ear, putting a reassuring hand one shoulder. The captain only nodded. They were ready for them.

"They will not get what they came for." The captain vouched, watching the ship approach.

There was a second of pure silence, and then the crack of cannons being fired.

"FIRE!" Captain Bellamy screamed rasing their sword to the air. The sound of cannons being fired rang in the captain's ears. The men were yelling and shooting their guns at the confederate ship coming directly along side.