Abney and Associates - Computer scientist looks for ways of fraud prevention

Jeremy Wendt, Sandia National Laboratories computer science researcher, focuses on working on a program to uncover probable preys of nefarious emails.

The weakest link in many computer networks is a gullible human. With that in mind, Sandia National Laboratories computer science researcher Jeremy Wendt wants to figure out how to recognize potential targets of nefarious emails and put them on their guard. – Phys. Org

 He aims to trim down the figure of visitors that cyber analysts have to check as possible bad guys among thousands who search Sandia websites each day.

 Spear phishing, sending an email to thousands of addresses or a specific address with the goal of someone will fall for a scam and follow the link they provided, in hopes to lure them in giving out banking details, is what he really wanted to spot.

 Wendt has developed algorithms that separate robotic web crawlers from people using browsers. As believed by Wendt, this will allow analysts to look at groups separately and as a result will improve security and will help as scam watch.

Wendt said, even if an outsider gets into a Sandia machine that doesn’t have much information, that access makes it easier to get into another machine that may have something.

“Spear phishing is scary because as long as you have people using computers, they might be fooled into opening something they shouldn’t,” he said.

Identifying malicious intent

The ability to identify the possible intent to send malicious content might enable security experts to raise awareness in a potential target, said Sandia cyber security’s Roger Suppona.  “More importantly, 

Source info:  http://abneyassociates.org/