I inhaled deeply. "I'm going to take a shower." I gave them all a kiss on the cheek then headed upstairs to my room. Once inside, I leaned against the door. I had no idea what was worse: being forced into the bed of someone I had loved as a brother, or be taken away and never see my family ever again. My heart clenched with pain at the thought of never seeing them again.

I can handle Samy... but not seeing my family again... no. It would kill me.

★☆★☆

Something moist, warm and soft caressed my left cheek. The smell of bacon hit my nostril as I awoke to find Max, my husky, beside me on my bed. Once he noticed I was awake, he wagged his tail, jumping on top of me to attack me with more of his kisses.

"Okay, boy. I know you love me, but enough with the kisses. Sit."

He lowered his behind onto the bed, tilting his head to the side. He was truly a good dog, a good companion. I reached out to run my hands through his soft snow-colored fur. After giving him a big hug, I heaved myself up from the small twin-sized bed.

On my way to the bathroom, I bumped my knee against the frame of the bed as I tried to squeeze in between it and the dresser. I bit my tongue, not wanting to curse. If my mom heard me, she would barge into the room, telling me that ladies didn't use such language. The last time it had escaped my lips, she looked like an insane woman about to kill someone. I had learned my lesson and never again used foul language.

Before entering the bathroom I made my bed, making sure the pink bedding had no wrinkles. Max jumped down from the bed onto the wooden floor, then lay on his bed at the corner of the room. When I was sure the bed was made the way I liked it, I walked toward the bathroom to finally take a shower and get ready for the "Best day" of my life. I snorted at the thought. How could it be the best day of my life when I could be chosen?

Staring at the mirror in the bathroom, I tried my best to not cry. "More like the beginning of a bleak future." Placing both hands on the sink, I inhaled deeply. "C'mon, Kendra. Your family can't see you like this. Keep it together."

Great, I'm talking to myself again.

After hopping into the shower, I stood there, lost in thought as the water splashed against my skin. At the thought of becoming a slave, of being used for the pleasures of one of those monsters, my heart hammered against my rib-cage, as if desperately seeking a way out.

When I finished taking a shower, I wrapped a towel around my torso and opened the door to find Sammy sitting on my bed with Max. Max seemed happy; of course he was. Sammy and I had saved him from being killed by some imbeciles. We were both his owners.

Sammy's gaze fell upon me, and I wrapped my arms around my body, fearing my towel would fall. "Who let you in here?"

He ran a hand through Max's fur, and Max wagged his tail. "Your parents trust me."

"Because they have no idea what type of monster you have turned into."

For a moment, I could have sworn that my words hurt him, but I knew better than to believe my best friend was still there; that beneath that hard exterior still lay the generous, kind, loving boy I knew. No. Greed had corrupted him as it had many people in the sectors.

"You really believe I'm a monster?"

My eyes averted. "Sammy... you are forcing me to become your woman. What do you expect me to think of you?"