The Meaning (featuring Harry Styles)

CHAPTER 1: Why hello there, stranger

Harry looked himself over in the mirror yet again. ‘No matter how many times I try and flatten out this monstrosity called hair,’ he thought, ‘it just springs back up again.’

With a drawn out sigh, Harry ran his rough fingers through his hair one last time, and started to head out on the way to the limo waiting outside, when he saw a photograph of him and his parents on the shelf, before their divorce, when he was seven. Thinking about how easy and simple life had been then; Harry grabbed his jacket and trudged moodily outside.

As it was raining outside, the bands personal driver, Philip, was waiting patiently by the door, an umbrella at the ready. Without so much as a hello, Harry kept on walking expectantly to the shiny black limo which had his band mates inside.

Hopping in, Harry sunk down into his seat tiredly. He used to think that this was the life, but lately, all he could think about was how repetitive and meaningless it all was. Sure, a lot of people want his body or his voice, and a lot of people envy him for the fame and money, but to Harry, it wasn’t what he wanted; well, not anymore.

Tonight, like every night this past two weeks, his band, One Direction, was expected to make an appearance at a party for a person or event that he couldn’t give two shits about. After losing track of time, lost in his thoughts, Harry eventually realised that he didn’t even know where he was going, or who was going to be there.

Turning to Louis, the band mate he was closest to, Harry asked, “What’s tonight about anyway?”

Obviously surprised that Harry had addressed him, he replied hesitatingly, “Taylor. She’s having a party celebrating her success in her latest hits.” He looked at me with a concerned expression. “Look, I know that you guys just broke up, and you guys aren’t exactly on good terms at the moment, but the rest of us have made friends with her while you guys were together, so it would seem rude if we didn’t show our support.”

Harry rolled his eyes and gave Louis a dirty look. “Look,” his band mate said, “after two hours, we’ll call Philip to take us home early. He can go pick up the others later in the night.”

Still unhappy that he had to stick around the party that his ex-girlfriend was hosting, Harry closed his eyes, crossed his arms, and leaned back in the seat. Hopefully, just hopefully, Taylor would stay far away from Harry, and that the night would go quickly.

----------------xx----------------

So far, the party was okay, he guessed. It wasn’t like the music or the drinks or the vibes coming from people were any different from last night’s party, or the night before that, or the night before that, or the night before that. It was meaningless people talking about meaningless topics, in a meaningless club, with meaningless music going on in the background, while celebrating a meaningless thing. Hell, even the drinks were becoming meaningless, and they were usually my saviour on nights like these; so he didn’t have to remember them.

Turning back to the bartender that was standing in front of him, across the bar, Harry leaned forward and ordered his fifth drink. “I’ll have pure vodka shot.”

Nodding, the bartender quickly turned to make Harry’s drink. Leaning back again, his shoulder was knocked by a lean tanned guy trying to get the bartenders attention. Doing a double take, Harry stared at the man standing so close to him.

He smells really good, wonder what his cologne is?’

The thought came out of nowhere, but suddenly, that was all Harry could think about; this man’s scent. 'This is weird. Men don’t think about how good another man smells.'

Shaking his hair, Harry turned back just in time to receive his drink. Grabbing onto it with both hands, Harry downed the shot and banged it back down onto the bar. Gesturing the drink to the bartender, his next drink was on his way. With nothing to do but wait until the next few customers were served before his shot, it was hard not to notice the very male presence rubbing against his side.

Finally taking notice Harry, the dark man turned to him, resting his forearms on the bar, and asked, “Long night?”

Replying quickly, Harry said, “well, technically, it just began, but I can already tell that the minutes are dragging by.” Glancing over the man’s face, Harry asked, “I don’t think I know you. What’s your name?”

With a small smile, the man turned his full attention to him and answered, “Deklan. My name’s Deklan Rizzo. What’s yours?”

Harry laughed humourlessly, “Really? You don’t know my name? You’d be the first.”

Deklan smiled and laughed a deep husky laugh that made the pit of Harry’s stomach stir. “Oh I knew your name, I just thought it would be rude to assume that I know you, because I don’t,” he glanced sideways from under his lashes at me while taking a sip from his recently arrived drink, “but I want to.”

And that was all it took. Deklan wasn’t meaningless like the rest of the people at this stupid party. Just talking to him for a minute was all it took before Harry realised that he didn’t want to stop talking with him; and he didn’t. They spent the next hour or so talking and laughing, until Louis came by to say the limo was out back, waiting.

Harry turned back to Deklan slowly. “It was nice talking with you,” he smiled, “you’re an interesting person.” Harry hopped off the stool and was just about to walk past Deklan when a hand grasped his bicep. Deklan stood up, so that Harry and he were almost nose to nose, no space between them.

“I like talking to you too, and I want to continue our conversation.” Deklan took out a pen from his pocket, “this is my number, and the address of the coffee shop that we are eating at tomorrow morning.” Seeing Harry’s worried expression, he said, “don’t worry, its private. No one will bother us there.” Deklan looked right into Harry’s eyes. “I look forward to seeing you tomorrow, bambino.”

----------------ENDofCHAPTER----------------

AN: Bambino = babe (in italian)

This will not be a oneshot, I plan on making this a multichap fic.

Songs listened to: Sun - Two Door Cinema, Like a Weight - The Jungle Giants, Wildfire - SBTRKT, Cat Power - Sea of Love.

HOPE YOU LIKED IT. LEAVE A COMMENT TO LET ME KNOW, EVEN IF ITS JUST IDEAS FOR FUTURE CHAPTERS :)