"Is Tara here?" Chris asked. I turned around and nodded. he looked almost nervous.

"What's got you in a jitter?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows.

"I think I'm gonna tell Tara I like her."

Everyone in the tree house widened their eyes and dropped their jaws. 

"Shh, she's coming," Chris whisper-yelled. 

"Not yet," Teddy said with a smirk. We all laughed as Tara knocked on the trap door. 

"That's not the secret knock!" Gordie said witha smile. 

"Oh, shut it, Gordo. We all know it's Tara." They moved the table and Tara crawled in, sitting by me.

"Jesus, Noah! What the hell happened to you?!" she yelled as she put her fingers on the huge bruise on my cheek.

I was too tired to say it all, so Teddy told her. Chris would've, but he was side tracked by her face. He probably thought his staring wasn't noticable, but Tara for sure noticed. I saw her look over and start blushing.

After Tara knew the whole story, I pulled her ear close to my mouth and whispered to her, "do you like Chris?!"

She pulled away looked at me in thought, thinknig whether or not she should tell me.

"Yes," she said softly, but no one else heard it over the boys' laughs and insults. 

"Oh my God!" I yelled, getting the boys' attention.

"Noah! Shut up," Tara said as she lighting slapped the back of her hand on my upper arm. 

"Chris, remember that thing you were talking about earlier?" I asked. Tara looked between us two in confusion and interest. 

"W-what?" Chris stuttered as he looked between me and Tara.

"Do it. Now."

"U-um, ok. Tara, I-I think, no. I know I like you. Will you go out w-with me?" 

He couldn't hold eye contact, possibly afraid of rejection, but I wasn't. I knew Tara wouldn't reject him. Not today, at least. 

"Yes." Chris looked up with wide eyes, staring straight at her. Their eyes met and Tara looked away as her cheeks flushed bright pink. 

"Holy shit, really?!" Chris yelled excitedly.

"Oh my gosh!" I squealed as I pulled Tara in for a hug. She put her hands on my arms as her and Chris smiled at each other.

"Well, since we're getting this out of the way, Noah, will you-"

"Yes," I said as I pulled Teddy in by the shirt and kissed him, leaving the others mostly disgusted, but also happy. 

After that week, school ended. We all met at the tree house at 9 every morning for a month and a half.

We would normally go to Patsy's for lunch, but would every once in a while try a new place. 

I hadn't seen Ace since he nearly killed me. But I made sure that when I was home, someone else was with me and when I went to Patsy's or another Cobra hot-spot, I was with at least two more people from my gang. I also always carry a blade on me. 

Mom and I started having dinner together once a week, then twice a week. Then it was every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Sunday. She also accepted the fact that I wasn't leaving my friend group for a while. She lets me stay at Teddy's every once in a while. 

My bruises left after about three weeks, but they never left internally. 

Life was ok. Then, when we were all at the tree house, Chris said, "so, next year most of us will be split up. Gordie, Noah and Tara will be taking college classes and the rest of us will be making birdhouses and ashtrays with the other retards."