Anyone You Like - Lie Again

She should just keep saying all the sweet things she always tells him. Lies, sweet lies, white lies, he'll take it, because he doesn't want to know the truth about the love she's had before. [Inspired by "Lie Again" by GIVEON]
Published: 01/06/2022

so, i have a love/hate relationship with this one. but this is the best i can do and i hope it's not too bad for you!! tell me who you imagine this with~

He wished that he hadn't asked the question. Because he was now completely up in his mind, thinking about her answer.

He'd asked her whether the rumour was true, the gossip that went around at the club between the players and the staff a while ago, that she was dating a "coworker".

She'd just chortled and slightly shook her head. "Do you really want to know?" was her answer and he'd been spending hours thinking about what it could possibly mean. The more he thought about it, the more he was sure that it was a suggestion that the gossip was actually true. She worked very closely with the first team. So to think that "the coworker" could be one of his teammates made his stomach twist and turn in the most uncomfortable way.

He'd brought her to Ibiza for a short getaway. They'd been seeing each other for a couple of months and he thought that this was the perfect time to finally go on a holiday together, just the two of them. In one of their conversations, some words had escaped her lips, "Well, I went here last summer", and last summer was the time that the gossip had gone around; that was why he got reminded of it and decided to ask about it.

He was waiting for her to get ready. They were going to go to the beach. He himself had put on blue floral pants and a simple white shirt that he'd unbuttoned all the way through. He was just lying idly on the bed, trying to catch glimpses of her in the bathroom—she was doing certain things to her hair.

After spending a few frustrating hours trying to figure out which ones of his teammates that had gone to Ibiza last summer, which ended up with him not liking the names he came up with, five minutes ago he'd said to her, "It was true, wasn't it?" followed by "I feel like I need to know" that didn't sound so convincing. She'd just responded with a brief glance at him, probably surprised that he brought back the topic.

His nervousness built up as he waited for her answer. He watched as she tied her hair in a ponytail; he thought that it looked cute, but she let it loose in the end. He followed her every movement, feeling his heart jumping when she walked out of the bathroom.

"It was just a summer fling," she said suddenly. He gritted his teeth, laying his eyes on her beautiful figure, holding his breath because the view was almost too much for him; she was wearing the coral red two-piece that he'd gifted her. "It didn't even last two months."

His heart dropped to the bottom of his stomach instantly once he'd processed her words. So it was true.

"I got over it so fast. I think he did too. The spark was gone so quick, you know, we just weren't a match," she continued, posing beside the nightstand as she grabbed her charged phone. "It was just so insignificant. I barely told anyone, so I was upset when everyone found out, I don't know how they did. Maybe he told someone, I don't know."

So it was really true. He bit the bottom of his lips. He'd prepared himself for the worst answer and this wasn't even the worst, but apparently it was still hard to take in.

"Do I know the guy?" He couldn't even stop himself from blurting out the question.

She shifted her eyes from her phone to him. "You sure you want to know the truth?" His face appeared serious as he pondered. But when he didn't answer after three seconds, she turned her attention back to her phone, typing in something quickly before setting her phone back on the nightstand.