Chapter Thirty -Two

Start from the beginning

"I change shirts frequently, none of my employees will think it's unusual."

"But there is a difference today, I was here, and when I get out, I will look different. Please wear a white one."

"Fine," he stated, pulling a white shift.

"You know when I was dressing up this morning, I kept telling myself to stay away from you. But look what I just did."

Matthew leaned toward her and stole a kiss.

"Stop that," she said in feigned outrage. "You bring the naughty girl out of me."

"I like her."

She recoiled in horror, "who?"

"That naughty girl in you."

She threw him a flirtatious grin, standing on her tiptoes to peck him.

"I have to go now." she glanced at her image in the mirror once more before walking out. Matthew followed, feeling bereft which was ridiculous because he was a grown man who was already used to living alone, also, Imani was leaving for work, not walking out of his life. but if it were up to him, he would set a desk in his office so they could work closer to each other. Alternatively, he thought," how about becoming my Secretary?"

Imani abruptly turned back to look at him too shocked by that statement to think of an immediate response. She could read the seriousness on his face, the unbending determination that must have had most people run for cover, but she wasn't just anyone, she was different, Imani had sworn to be different from every woman he ever met or had a relationship with.

"Did I ever tell you there is a limited amount you can spend to buy me a gift?" she asked instead of addressing his absurd suggestion. He stared in frustration Imani grinned, forgetting albeit for a second that Matthew had just confessed his feelings about how much he missed and wanted her close to him more than he wanted them apart.

There is a poem Imani read when she was seventeen. It was on the last page of one of her historical romances, one verse that made her believe in love—believe that there was a boy out there meant to be hers. Looking at Matthew at that moment, she realized he was the boy she thought then, the universe had known that today would come and be reminded of those few words.

I am, so I know you are. I live, so I know you live. My love, my heart, my pain.

Imani knew without the universe having to spell it out for her, that Matt was and will always be the man for her.  She could walk away, but her heart would remain with him until her last breath. She would have no other love, but him. It was sad. Loving someone and not having them must be something the devil came up with.

"Why do you limit me so much? Why won't you let me in?"

"I have let you in. Have you forgotten what we just.."

"Don't! Don't be facetious about this." Matthew warned, fixing an intense gaze on her. Imani opened her mouth to speak, then closed it like she wasn't sure what she wanted to say would be fitting. There were times she didn't know what to do about how to deal with so many different emotions she felt for him, and this was that time. Taking a step towards him, so close was she to him that parts of their front touched, Imani raised her gaze, a tiny grin on her lips, her eyes smiling full of love so Matthew could see and know.

"I want to be able to match your gifts. Buy me something within my means. Our affair is on equal grounds." she said, tenderly touching aside his face.

"But I have more money."

"Trust me, I know."

He couldn't help it, he chuckled. How could he remain mad, he saw what she wanted him to see, she loved him, but what scared Matthew is the fact that he suspected she would never tell him. She was determined to leave him.

"Please kiss me goodbye, Isaac is waiting for me."

"I thought you told me not to because they are swollen."

"They are still swollen." she started to draw his head to her, but Matthew stopped inches before their lips could meet.

"Do you believe in fate?" he knew it was corny, he even flinched inwardly when he heard what he had just asked her, but Imani rolled her tongue around her lips and whispered, "yes." A single word that carried a hundred meaning.

"I never did. But you make me believe in it—you're my fate, Imani." She froze, her eyes filling with tears she couldn't control. She had come a long way to this day, cried herself to sleep, starved because she couldn't afford three meals for herself and Jamie, lied to the system to keep Jamie, yet she could do all that and more to be able to stand here, like this, with Matthew. Imani swore she'd never again rage against the universe. This man, this powerful, beautiful man with a kindness he did not know he had was whom the universe had sent to her for every hardship she'd endured.

"I forgive the universe," she burst out, laughing and crying at the same time.

"What?" Matthew asked with a bewildered expression.

"You're my gift from the universe," she whispered, drawing his head towards her. Their lips met, kissing slowly and gently until he stopped, pulling her into his arms for a hug.

"I like you, " he mumbled to her hair, "I like you too damn much," he added and pulled from her arms before motioning her to the door."

"Go to work."

And she did. But before she could open the door, she turned back to look at him one more time.

"Can I meet with you after work?"

"I would like that," he said, shoving his hands in his pocket to keep from walking up to her and grabbing her back into his arms.

"You know why I can't be your Secretary, don't you?"

He nodded.

"See you." and she was gone.

Xoxo