C H A P T E R T W E N T Y

Start from the beginning

"I love you too Ali."

ALEX stood behind Zia and rubbed her shoulders, as she prepped herself before getting in the car.

"What are you going to do?" Alex asked.

"I'm gonna' send it."

"And why are you gonna' send it?."

" 'Cause I deserve that Ferrari seat."

Alex hit Zia's shoulders excitedly. "That's my girl. Now get in the car and smash it. Not literally." Zia turned around and gave Alex one last hug, before she put her helmet on, and got into the cockpit of her car.

Settled in the seat, she closed her eyes underneath her helmet, calming herself.

Her engineer's voice, Marco came through her ears. "Hey Z. So, not to get all sappy on you but this is our last race together."

Zia chuckled. "Aw Marc you gonna' miss me?"

"Maybe a bit. Won't miss you screaming at me." Marco joked, as they waited for the okay to begin the formation lap.

Zia rolled her eyes in the cockpit of the car, and a thought popped into her head. "Hey! You miss my birthday. It's the start of January."

"Aw man. Sorry Z. I'll send you a gift in the mail don't worry."

"Could you, y'know as a last race kinda' gift sing me an early happy birthday?" Zia teased.

"Christian's sat next to me sorry I can't." Marco almost whispered, sheepishly.

Zia laughed.

COMMENTATOR'S BOX

"WELL, I won't lie to you Martin, doing this starting grid is going to make me a bit emotional." Crofty admitted as the graphics for the grid came up on the screen.

"I don't blame you Crofty, we are saying goodbye to so many great drivers, and fantastic people. This will certainly be an emotional race."

"Ladies and Gentlemen. Your starting grid for the finale of the 2021 Formula One World Championship.

On the back row, Nikita Mazepin, Mick Schumacher, a disappointing qualifying for Jake Bryant who starts 18th.

Then we have Nicholas Latifi in 17th, and Sebastian Vettel rounding up the bottom three rows.

A disappointing start for Antonio Giovanazzi, as we bid goodbye to the Italian as he heads of to Formula E, in 15th place. Then comes Pierre Gasly in 14th, but if a shocker for him.

After Gasly we Alonso, then we have Russell in who leaves Williams at the end of this season to head off to Mercedes to chase his Formula One dreams.

In 11th place, Zia Powman, after a crash in qualifying with George Russell, the young Red Bull driver finds herself just outside of the top ten in her final race in Formula One.

In tenth place, and a good friend of Powman's we have Lance stroll, then Daniel Ricciardo, Esteban Ocon, Yuki Tsunoda, Charles Leclerc, Valterri Bottas, who moves to Alfa Romeo next year replacing Antonio Giovanazzi, and Carlos Sainz.

Your top three for this race, Lando Norris in third, who told us a lunge for the lead may be in the cards if the opportunity arises.

And of course, the battle we've all been watching. Lewis Hamilton starts second, Whilst Max Verstappen grasped pole positron at the end of yesterday's qualifying."

Martin shivered as Crofty finished the grid. "I don't think I've ever been this excited for a season finale since 2016 when the two Mercedes were battening for the Championship."