Heartbreak

Dadan

Dadan knew she wasn't fit to raise three children. She's a bandit, damnit, not a babysitter. Still, Garp left two children under her care. Then, those two children brought home a third kid for her to look after. She was certain they'd be the end of her.

She will always deny caring for those brats to anyone who calls her out. She'll say she had no choice since Garp forced her to. Damn Marine, and it was true in the beginning. She hated that she was in charge of those two brats. Honestly, she isn't sure when it happened, but she ended up actually caring for them. They may be brats, but they're her brats.

When Sabo was taken to high town, she partly blamed herself. She should have forced them to stay with her. To do chores and not wonder out everyday. At the same time, she knew that was never truly an option. Those kids were born to be free. They could never just stay in one place. Especially Luffy, and if one of them left, all three of them were gone.

Then, Sabo was killed and she mourned him. Her suffering was nothing compared to the two brats, but it still pained her. She's shit at comforting, so she could at least not be too tough on them. At least, they have each other.

Ace turned seventeen, and just as they agreed, he set sail. Luffy clearly missed his brother, Dadan did too, still does, but he managed. He was happy his brother is off on his adventures, so he smiled everyday. He continued with his life, eagerly awaiting his own 17th birthday.

That being said, she only saw this for a month because only a month after Ace's departure, Luffy disappeared. He's strong, not as strong as Ace, but still strong, so she's not sure how someone pulled it off. All she knows, is that she was too late. The only thing left was his cherished straw hat, and a ship far too small and far too gone to make out any details. The only thing keeping her from jumping in the water and swimming after the boat hopelessly, are her bandits hanging onto her so she can't move an inch.

"Let me go! Luffy is in trouble!" She had screamed. She couldn't keep her tears down, but neither could the others. Despite being forced to watch them, they became part of the family.

Now, a day later, she's forced to write a letter to Ace, explaining how his little brother was taken from right under her nose. She's on her fifth letter. The others were either too soaked in tears and snot or her handwriting impossible to make out. She hears the door burst down and a dreaded laugh. In comes Garp, looking far too happy.

Garp

When Garp entered Dadan's place, he was not expecting to find her looking completely destroyed. No, he was expecting to find his rambunctious, pirate obsessed, grandkid. Dadan crying, writing a letter, definitely isn't a good sign.

"What happened?" Garp struggles to control his Haki. Normally, she'd be comically scared of him. This time, she just looks at him with a broken gaze.

"Someone took Luffy." Garp had never heard her sound so broken.

"Who?" This island is supposed to be safe. Other than the nobles, this island is good. Nobody should have gotten him. Especially since Luffy is strong. The East Blue is weak. Anyone who dared to have attacked, Luffy could have taken care of.

"If I knew that, do you really think I'd be here? Or Luffy wouldn't be back?" Dadan snapped.

"When was he taken?" Garp's fists tremble with rage. He's going to kill whoever took Luffy.