"It never is" Ada sighed, fixing her gloves. She had had a long day and she still had a brother to sort out. She was bored of it.

"Is that a yes?" Ailbhe asked, equally as bored. She didn't trust herself to stay around the woman and not do or say something Tommy would chastise her for.

Ailbhe felt Ada's eyes burning on her. Ada hadn't realised that Ailbhe knew the plan that was being hatched between Tommy and the fascists. Very few knew. But of course, Ailbhe did. And Ada found herself furious that Ailbhe would agree to it. They were meant to be fighting for the people, they were meant to oppose fascism and everything it stood for.

Captain Swing had barely replied when Ailbhe turned on her heel. She barely heard Ada. But she was correct. The answer was always yes. People didn't say no to them, not anymore.

"You can let yourself out" Tommy gestured towards the door, turning to follow his sisters.

"And let your friends at home know that Tommy Shelby and Ailbhe Shelby have changed..."

Ailbhe couldn't stop herself from thinking

If only that were true.

*

The street outside the Garrison hadn't changed much. It was still dark and Ailbhe watched her footing as she always had. Although now she was careful because her shoes were expensive, not because she was barefoot. On her left was the wall that Finn had kissed her against on her 18th birthday when they had finally made up. Behind her was the window she used to knock on to warn Liam and John that Tommy was coming when they had skived off work early. It all seemed so long ago now.

As Ada explained the situation she had found Arthur in, Tommy paced. Ailbhe stayed still, leaning against the pillar and watching her brother.

"It's all under control, Ada"

It sounded as though he genuinely believed it. But Ailbhe couldn't. Any man with sense wouldn't believe it.

"Well, I'm not under fucking control!" Ada snapped, her patience finally wearing through.

"I'm not you, Tom!"

Ada's eyes darted towards her sister.

"I'm not Ailbhe, I can't just... I can't read your fucking mind and agree to follow you anywhere"

Ailbhe wished she could read Tommy's mind. It would certainly make her life that much easier.

"And I'm not Polly... no matter how hard I try to be"

Ada's voice cracked, giving her away. She missed Polly, they all did. But Ada didn't want to be her. Never mind the fact she couldn't be.

"Polly would have stopped this"

Ailbhe stayed quiet, knowing Tommy's eyes darted towards her but he spoke only when Ada had stopped.

"We will pull Arthur through this"

Ada spun on her heel to face him, her eyes pleading with him.

"I'm not talking about Arthur, I'm talking about you! I know you won't tell me what's going on but I heard what you said in there, Tommy!"

Ada was a socialist. Although, technically so was Tommy. And so, he should oppose everything Laura McKee stood for, especially after the attempt her comrades made on Ailbhe's life.

Tommy looked over at his quieter sister, who was silent. This was out of character and it bothered him. She saw his face, his exasperation and lack of answers so she piped up. He needed saving.