𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 10 - 𝐁𝐀𝐂𝐊 𝐅𝐑𝐎𝐌 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐃𝐄𝐀𝐃

A month passed, then three, then eventually six

A month passed, then three, then eventually six. Six months since everything happened that night. Six months since you last saw Dabi. Your phone calls wouldn't go through, your texts wouldn't go through. You still have no clue what happened to him. A part of you didn't want to accept that he was dead, but after several months of no contact, your hope began to dissolve right in front of your eyes.

And you kept telling yourself he was only a man you met a few weeks ago under random circumstances, why even care? But, you had no idea why you cared so much. Was it because you both were starting to open up to each other more? Was it because just as things were going good, they went wrong just as fast? Was it because you could see yourself being around him more? Or was it all the above?

Each night, you'd stroll by the mechanic shop, pulling into the parking lot to see that it was still closed down. The lights were off, the building dark and gloomy. The parking lot was completely empty and the area was too quiet. You started coming here after a week. At first, you came to see if everything was okay, but to your dismay, everything was gone. Dabi wasn't there like he usually was late in the night. You even tried to call the shop's number, only to get a voice saying that this line is no longer in service.

But that little sliver of hope inside you still tells you to stop by and call, waiting to hear a ring of a phone from inside the building. But instead, you got the same exact outcome. The lights were out, the shop locked, and the phone cut off. You searched for every sign and clue that he might still be alive, anything, even the howl of the wind could change your mind if you were so desperate. And you were. So desperate just to see him even if you couldn't talk to him. You just wanted to make sure he was okay.

Ever since you received the box of money, you quit your job, leaving Dee and the restaurant behind. It hurt to say goodbye, but you promised yourself that you'd give yourself better and that place gave you nothing but bad memories, especially that night with Dabi. Flashing images of blood in your head the moment you stepped over the threshold sent you into a panic. Why? Because you don't know if you saved him or not. You don't know if you helped him enough. What if you reacted sooner? Maybe you should have called him? Checked up on him? Something. You could have done something.