- 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫

Start from the beginning

"Luis is not the bad guy either, Kaci," Mikel defended.

"He killed Big John!" Kaci was fast to argue, voice raising. "He kidnapped us all — twice! He was going to hurt my baby!"

"He was young and manipulated, Kaci — if anything, it is my fault for not giving him enough love," Mikel reasoned, voice still calm.

"Bullshit," Kaci called out. "I hope he's rotting in hell, the stupid bitch."

The table went silent for a long moment after that. Mikel appeared hurt by her words, JJ kept his eyes trained on hers, waiting for her to snap, Kaz looked at everyone with big, beady eyes, and Kaci leaned back in her chair to breathe, the only source of comfort she had being JJʼs touch.

She finally let out a sigh, meeting her fatherʼs eye again, the two of them sharing the exact same, neutral expression. "Listen, Mik —" She shook her head and corrected herself, "Dad, I forgive you. But only you. Luis tried to hurt Kaz, and I'll never forgive him for that, I could drink to his death easily. But I forgive you for the sake of Kaz. He deserves a grandfather, and you deserve a chance."

At that, a small smile grew onto Mikelʼs lips, and JJ squeezed Kaciʼs hand, proud of her for staying so calm. "Thank you, Mija, and I will make it up to you, too. For both you and Jordan." He was careful not to mention his oldest son this time.

"I don't get it, though," Kaci moved on, still not breaking her look of no expression. "If you hated Ward as much as you claim you did, then why were you so mad that I left Rafe?"

The conversation switch into this put the whole table on edge. JJ actually wanted to know the answer to this question, too. He didn't take his hand off Kaciʼs, as he knew what she went through in that time of her life was particularly hard. Especially now that Rafe had murdered her brother.

He couldn't imagine that — watching an ex, somebody he loved, do something so horrific. Kaci was stronger than most people thought, and her pain was overlooked because of how okay she seemed through it all. But all she did was avoid it. She didn't embrace her pain, she didn't let herself be sad, and that was going to crush her. JJ just wanted to be there for her during the fallout.

Mikel sighed, momentarily glancing at JJ before moving back to his daughter. "Rafe loved you very much, Kaci, more than you ever loved him. We all knew that. We all also knew he had some issues —"

That was it for JJ. "Issues?" he snapped suddenly, defensively. "He was hurting her."

"Obviously, I wasn't aware of that," Mikel went on, sending the boy a sharp look before going back into calmness. "But Ward poisoned the mind of one of my children, and I wanted to protect his. Rafe, Sarah and Wheezie — they're family."

"Rafeʼs not," said Kaci coldly. "Not anymore."

Mikel nodded, sending JJ a look of respect. "The girls, though. I will always look out for them."

Kaci nodded too. "Yeah. Same."

A small smile appeared on the older manʼs face again as he memorised all the old times. "It's funny, actually," he said. "Ever since you guys were little, we always talked about you and Rafe getting married. Then, as they grew older, Jordan and Wheezie, too."

"Yeah, well, it's a little late for both of those to come true," Kaci shot back, and JJ squeezed her hand again.

Mikel nodded, sadness falling under his eyes. "I miss Jordan. And your mom."

"I miss my brother," Kaci agreed.

Mikel sighed, understanding the stubborn resentment the girl held for her mom. "She did love you, you know? In her own way."

"Thanks for the dinner, Dad," Kaci said instead, pushing herself out of the table. "I guess I'll see you later?"

"I hope so." He smiled lightly. He nodded to JJ as he stood up with her, lifting Kaz out of the highchair.

JJ took Kaciʼs hand, the two of them leaving the nearly empty restaurant hand in hand. "I'm proud of you, Princess," he said with a smile, once they were away from everyone. "For a second there, I thought I'd have to hold you back before you reached over the table to strangle him."

She shook her head, looking up at him. "What was up with you? You were so quiet."

He smirked. "I thought you hated it when I talk."

Kaci shrugged. "I do," she said. "But I also love it."

JJ leaned down to kiss her on the forehead, purposely messing with her hair a little, knowing it drove her insane. "Yeah, well, that dude used to be my boss," he reminded her. "He fired me twice, I knocked up his teenage daughter — he scares the crap outa me."

"I love you, JJ," Kaci suddenly said.

JJ smiled. "I love you too, Princess."

Authorʼs Note
i'm not sure if i like this chapter or not, but this is a new beginning for the flores family. i hope you don't see kaci as whiny or rude or anything, keep it in mind that although he's not a psychopath, mikel still neglected her a lot as a child, and we all know our stubborn aries kaci isn't good at forgiveness. blueberry and pineapple moment in the next chapter.
love, tay </3