Admiring from afar

En başından başla

In comfortable silence, they looked out into the eternity of space.

Dean broke the silence with „It is as if the out there would try to pull you outside, right?" Now she faced him completely, his green eyes locking with her own. She opened her mouth to speak, but a chirping sound interrupted her. Zera's hand flew to her pocket, taking out a white device. It functioned like a ring to the servants, just in this case the family used it as communication when something happened. No GPS to track her though.

Now it blinked in red light. Zera couldn't recall seeing anything other than a green light shining. She had no clue what that was supposed to mean, but figured red couldn't be good.

In a haste, she said goodbye to Dean and walked back. How were there so many people passing through the sector passages right now?

Pushing open the last door, she already heard the screams. Her eyes first searched for her parents in the crowd, but without success.

Men in blue uniforms attacked her people. Zera backed away, slowly, and fumbled with the security card before slipping back behind the door. Unfortunately, a strong grip pulled the closing door open again to push himself through. Unable to hold him back, Zera stumbled backward. 

The guy however held her back by the sleeve. Rough fingers grabbed her throat, contrary to her believes, not to strangle her, but to pull on her necklace. The golden chain held surprisingly well, so well that it dug into her neck and made it hard to breathe. Black dots flooded her vision when the pressure stopped. Her hand found the walls. 

Through her recovering vision, she saw a blond guy stepping in, throwing one punch after another onto the first and every following guy. He managed to take out three men at once. Only when the number of people became too overwhelming, Dean pulled out a gun. Zera still questioned if the foregoing events really happened, when green eyes appeared in front of her face. Strong arms held her up and lead her away from the noise.

At some point, Dean handed her an object she had just enough strength to hold.

Then the dizziness faded with every step. Zera saw Dean clearly now, he kneeled by a highly secured door while tapping wildly on a touchpad.

„So... " she took the gun and aimed in the direction of approaching footsteps. „Who are you really?"

His eyes fixed on the screen in front of him, he said lowly. „I am the most wanted criminal in this universe." Her head flipped towards him, but before she could begin shouting, he added: „But I am the only one able to help you."

Zera's furrowed brows relaxed slightly at his words, yet her unamused expression stayed. „Why didn't you tell me?"

„I wanted to, but"

„What the hell, Dean!" she spat out. „I have so many questions. Am I some kind of mission for..."

With a thump, the door slid to the side and revealed a larger hall. Many smaller spaceships lined up leading to the biggest one. The Paradox. Zera heard praise for how it unites functions of both a space shuttle and a spacecraft. They use it to check out potential problems on the way before the mothership has permission to follow.

„God no. I lied to you Zera, and I apologize for that, but I only wanted to stay hidden. The 'most wanted' thing is not at much fun as everyone thinks."

Zera shot him an unintentional smile.

„ I'm still mad, keep that in mind," she shot him an intense glance, „but you are my only option. You do know how to fly that thing, right?"

He nodded, though unpersuasive. She sighed.

„Then let's get out of her."

Now his face lit up with a full smile. „Sure"

Both of them raced towards the last ship, barged inside, and he began a rushed pre-departure checkup. Zera's hand hovered over the CLOSE DOOR button as she heard people stomping closer on the metal floor.

„Fuck, they are coming." The door with the stairs attached closed.

When she got no response from Dean, she walked over to the trapezoid window. Dean leaned over several manuals. „I got this."he said as he noticed her coming over.

The loud growling of an engine disrupted the silence. Zera's eyes widen when she spotted a shuttle starting behind them.

Red lights blinked at its bottom. Our ship's engine started as well.

„Shit, Dean, they want to shoot at us."

„What?" He turned and because he was about to tentatively lift the ship, it made a stuttering move to the right.

„You better get us out now." Our eyes locked, and he nodded.

„See the blue screen to my left?" Zera looked around. „You need to click ‚open airlock'."She rushed to his side. „Done."

„Okay now sit down, buckle up." With rutting movements, Zera felt the loss of steady ground when Dean lifted the ship.

„Oh my god, we..." A shock erupted through the ship before she could finish her sentence. Zera and Dean looked at each other in shared horror.

Their ground swayed before settling back into a steady position. Dean looked away to safely guide the ship past the airlock.

„We did it!" Zera whispered.

„Like hell we did!"

Smiling, Zera reached out to rest her hand on Dean's, ahead of them the violet galaxy she used to admire from afar.