III.) Permission To Travel

As I make my way off of the ship, I notice a strange looking boy waiting for someone nearby. Beidou mentioned that someone would be waiting for me to help me leave Ritou to traverse Inazuma to Inazuma City, however, could this boy help me?

   I study him for a moment, taking his appearance into account. The Captain didn't mention what this mysterious guide looked like, however he was the only one nearby. As I realize I had been standing in one place for too long, staring awkwardly at this stranger, I decide to walk towards Ritou from the dock. After all, if he was tasked with guiding me, he would surely come talk to me, right?

   I pass by him, and my theory was correct.

   "Ahoy, there!" The young, blonde boy exclaims, "I believe you're Y/N?"

   "Yes, I am! Who are you?" I ask curiously.

   "My name's Thoma! I've been assigned to help you leave Ritou! Due to the Raiden Shogun's Vision Hunt Decree, it's been exceptionally difficult for travelers to leave Ritou, especially without a travel permit. See, the Commission officers, they really don't like when you try to leave Ritou without one, so it's best if we go ahead and get you one!" He chuckles, whispering the last part quietly.

   "Oh, uh, okay!" I reply slowly.

   Honestly, The Raiden Shogun's views seem quite contradictory to each other. I mean, for example, she claims to want a "Land of Eternity," yet limits how people leave and enter. To me, that seems like it would make people want to leave more, you know? Obviously, it would be hard due to the decree, but it doesn't really scream "eternity."  To me, it screams something more along the lines of "I'm a possessive narcissist with control issues!"

  "Come on! Follow me! First, we need to talk to an inspector before we head further into Ritou.

   I follow Thoma across the docks, making our way towards Ritou. We make our way to a small shop nearby.

   "Hello. Please state your name, identity and the purpose of your visit." The inspector states, glaring towards me.

   "Oh! Uh, I'm Y/N, I'm here to find my, uh, friends and I'm a uh, I'm....... I'm a uh..." I say, struggling to come up with a lie to say.

    "I'm sorry? Please state the required information, as well as if you have brought any goods from across seas." The inspector replies, already suspicious of me.

   "I don't have any goods with me," I reply.

   "Identity?" She replies once more, becoming impatient.

    "I'm a traveler." I respond.

   "A traveler, eh? Currently, only merchants are allowed to enter Ritou past the docks, due to the influx of travelers that have come in due to recent...problems...in Sumeru. You will have to turn back now, or else I will be forced to alert the Commission officers nearby." The inspector states, forcefully.

   "Here are their entry papers," Thoma says, joyfully.
   I glare at him, "My entry papers? You couldn't have done that sooner?"

   "Ahh, I just thought it would be fun to see what you'd say," Thoma replies innocently, smiling as if he's unaware of the embarrassment he's caused me.

   He hands over my entry papers to the inspector as she thoroughly exams them, "Alright. You're good to go. Have a safe stay in Inazuma," she replies.

   Thoma leads me away from her, as I'm still angrily glaring towards the blonde.

   "Awh, come on, I was just playing with you. Put that frown away," Thoma says, smiling towards me.
   I roll my eyes at him in response.