one

( DIVINER )

( DIVINER )

( four years ago )

Everything happened so fast. the way the building went up into flames, or how blood was dripping down one side of her face. The dried blood that was once across her face like freckles were wiped away. Verena had quietly turned down the corner and onto the sidewalk where barley any people were walking on it. It was a quiet night, the stars were shining and the breeze was shallow and cold as it hit her cheeks. Verena had licked her bruised lips, still tasting the blood of her victims.

She still remembered how they screamed, bloody hell and begging screams to her, the parts of their face melting and burning to the point where she could see their bones, or how there ears started to bleed and their brains exploded from the high pitched screams from her mouth. Verena closed her eyes for a brief moment and then opening them again. She would have thought by now that she would be used to seeing people dead, but in fact, she wasn't. every victim that she had taken, she felt like they would be haunting her, every single moves she makes. Day and night.

Shuddering at the thoughts that filled her head, she continued to walk down the sidewalk, not knowing where she would stay for the night. She would usually just stay at an abandoned houses or buildings. But as she passed by things, she couldn't find none. "Great." she mumbled to herself, wrapping herself tighter in her not so warm jacket that she had stole from a store two months ago. It's been like this ever since she escaped. Escaped from a horrible place. A lab you could say. And within those walls of that lab, where deaths, abuse and most importantly, meta-people.

People with powers, unlike regular people, special abilities you could say. But, she really didn't like thinking about it, all those....traumatic memories were basically planted into her head. And every time she would think about one, it only ended up in something in flames.

《✩》

( two years ago )

"Happy birthday, rena!" Gar had a big, bright, loving smile on his face as he brought out a chocolate cake, covered in blue and purple frosting. Verena had look at him with playful annoyance, "Gar, you didn't have to do this." She had told him, Gar rolled his eyes. "But I felt like had to. It's your two year anniversary since you've been with us." he had sat the cake down, the candles illuminated rena's room.

"Listen, I know you've told me that you been alive for 600 years," Gar started to explain, "and you've spent 100 birthdays with your mom. leaving the 500 alone." Rena looked down, remembering the times she was a kid where she would open gifts, wake up to the smell of fresh chocolate chip pancakes...and her mom. "but, i know you don't like celebrating your birthday, but, can you celebrate this one?" He pleaded, making Verena only smile in response.

"I guess I could make an exception. Celebrating a birthday where I don't even age." She had smiled and sighed, Gar had looked at her before looking back at the cake, "Well, go on, make a wish." he had rushed her since the blue candles were melting on the frosting, she giggled as she closed her eyes, although, she was stuck on what to wish for. Of course, she could wish something for herself and it would come true, but this was hard.

It felt like everything was going in slow motion, she had took a deep breath in before blowing out the candles, the tiny flames going up. "So, what did you wish for?" Gar had asked her curious, salem had only smiled. "I can't gell you, then it won't come true." she says, making Gar pout quickly. "Fine. let's just have some cake and watch movies!" He quickly got up and went to get a knife.

"best birthday ever."

《✩》

( present day )

    "Rena, Verena? you alright?" Verena had blinked a couple of times before looking up at Gar, she must have been dazing again into nothingness. She nodded and went back to reading her book, "Fine as always, Gar." Gar nodded at her, not wanting to push it any further. Verena had been at the caulder house for three years now, she was just a weak, injured girl who had escaped some very horrible people. Found in the woods by gar, who was severely concerned and took her in without warning.

"Want something to drink?" He asked her, opening the fridge and getting a cup for him, "No, but thanks." she closed her book and sighed as Gar had placed the juice away in the fridge again.  "Can I tell you something? It's really important and I only feel comfortable tell you about it." Gar placed his glass cup down on the counter with raised eyebrows and a curious expression. "What's up?" he took a seat next to her. She picked at her nails from the nervousness, she never really told anyone about this it made her sick to even think about it.

"Hey, take your time." Gar had noticed her fumbling with her hands, she sighed and took a deep breath in and out. "Do you ever feel like...someone is watching you? From far away?" she asked him, and he froze for a moment. "No, but, why are you feeling this way?" He raised a eyebrow, she shrugged her shoulders. "I don't know, maybe I'm just imagining things." Verena told him truthfully, "Did you tell Dr. Caulder?" Gar was concerned, "No, no. Maybe it's just my dreams." she brushed off quickly, raising suspicions of Gar, but he decided to let it go.

《✩》

A heavy, shallow sigh came out the girl's mouth. Verena was currently taking a hot bath, with headphones blasting with music on. It helped her drown out the other noises when from the outside when it became to much, this was something that everyone in the house knew about. The song 'Ribs' was playing on the cassette tape . She enjoyed the song so much that she would have it on repeat for hours straight.

It was a quiet day, the clouds and sky was grey, rena was staring to feel like she was going to burn to death if she stayed in the bath any longer, grabbing a nearby towel, she wrapped her body and made her way into her bedroom. Searching around for some clothes that she could wear, opening her closet, she frowned. Glancing at the outfit when she first arrived here, it was still torn up, dirt and dried up blood on it. Her heart started to pound a little bit faster, she closed her eyes and took a deep breath before shutting the wooden door.

Verena was still severely traumatized from that day, and that outfit just reminded her of it. She's tried to get rid of it, burn it, throw it away, but, something in the back of her mind just can't seem to do it. Maybe it reminded her the memories of the lab, her last test before she escaped. maybe it was the memories of her mother scent holding on to it, and couldn't just throw it out. Or maybe she held on it for comfort. Verena didn't really know why she held on to it, but she couldn't let go.

first chapter! not the best, but not the worst? it was pretty alright for me :). more chapters will come soon, trying to get some ideas! question: what would gar and verena's ship name be? var? gerna?