Chapter 7: The Breakthrough

Start from the beginning

"Priya, Abby, quit it. Mei, what the heck happened?" Miriam asked.

"It's just some, you know, inconvenient, uh, genetic thingy I got from my mom. I mean...it'll go away. Eventually. Maybe." Mei started crying again.

His friends all gathered around him and tried to console him.

"I hate this! I'm slobby, I'm smelly. My mom won't even look at me, and now 4-Town? When are they coming?" He asked.

"May 18th. They just announced it." Abby said.

"The 18th?! There's no way this will be gone by then. Just go. Go become adults without me." He cried.

(Y/n) came forward and lifted his face. "Mei, it's gonna be okay." She reassured.

"No, it's not. I'm a freak. Just...just leave me alone." He moved to the other side of the room and curled up into a ball, hugging Wilfred.

The four girls looked at each other before Miriam got an idea. She started beatboxing and Priya, Abby, and (Y/n) caught on. Abby started beatboxing too, and Priya joined in.

"Mm. Yeah. Mm. Let's go."

(Y/n) the started singing the lyrics to one of their favorite 4-Town songs.

"I've never met nobody like you. Had friends and I've had buddies it's true."

Mei glanced up at her, and couldn't help but pretend she was singing about him.

"But they don't turn my tummy, the way you do. I've never met nobody...like you."

She held an invisible microphone in front of Mei waiting for him to sing the next part.

"You're never not on my mind?" He sniffed.

"Oh my! Oh my! I'm never not by your side, your side, your side."

Mei stood up and (Y/n) took his paws on her hands.

"I'm never gonna let you cry, oh cry, don't cry. I'll never not be your ride or die! Alright!"

They all cheered for Mei, making him feel a lot better. He brought them all into a group hug.

"Thanks guys. You're the best." He said.

"Aw, we love you Mei."

"You're our best friend."

"No matter what. Panda or no panda." (Y/n) reassured.

Mei couldn't help it, he pulled her into a hug. (Y/n) snuggled into him and he sighed contently.

Poof!

Mei was back to his normal self, and he was still hugging (Y/n).

"Woah!"

"Mei!"

"You're you!"

(Y/n) and Mei pulled away from each other. "Wow! You look amazing! Red is a good color for you." She touched some strands of his hair.