Chapter 10

Y/N stared sorrowfully at the pile of rubble. She was Loki's slave, she had to do what he told her. Didn't she? That thought didn't help much as she mourned her role in the death of an innocent young hero.

"Game. Set. Match." Loki said to himself happy to be rid of a thorn in his plan.

Y/N bit her tongue to hold back the nasty remarks that came to mind. If only the creep didn't own her soul.

A faint sound from the mountain stole her attention. A few rocks began to tumble from the pile. Was the Hydra still alive? The crowd drew back in fear. The Hydras claw appeared from under the stone. It's claw uncurled then Steve appears from Hydra's dead claw. 

"Steve!" Y/N gasped.

The crowd stares in shock for a moment, but then burst into wild cheers. Why, this kid was the genuine article. A real hero! While shouting and cheering, the people rushed forward and raised him on their shoulders.

Steve beamed. "Hey, Bucky," he called out. "Even you got to admit, that was pretty heroic!"

Bucky climbed up from his hiding place and yelled back "You did it, Punk! You won by a landslide!"

The canyon echoed with cheers of celebration.

Above it all Loki seethed. Ice spiralled around him causing Kaecilius and Yon-rogg to freeze over from his anger.

"Well. What do ya know?" Y/N whispered, shaking her head lightly. This was the first time she'd ever seen anyone play against Loki, and win.

"From that day forward, our boy Steve could do no wrong. He was so hot, steam looked cool." Natasha said.

Off on a hillside over looking where Steve trains most days, Kaecilius and Yon-rogg held some painted vases and plate's All had images of Steve on them.

"Pull!" Loki shouted. Yon-rogg tossed a vase into the sky. Smouldering in anger, Loki took aim. Then he hid the vase with a dagger he had conjured up from thin air.

"Nice shooting, Rex." Y/N said dryly.

Loki swirled around. "I can't believe this guy. I throw everything I've got at him. And it doesn't even..." Loki stopped midsentence and glared at Kaecilius' feet. "What are those?"

Kaecilius took a nervous step backwards, wishing the earth would open up below him. "Um.. I don't know." He glanced down at his new sandals. "I thought they looked kind of dashing." He mumbled.

"I've got 24 hours to get rid of this bozo," Loki growled "or the entire scheme I've been setting up for 18 years goes up in smoke, and you are wearing his merchandise!!!" Loki lunged for Kaecilius' throat when a weird slurping sound made him stop. He whipped around. Yon-rogg was drinking from his new Steve sports cup.

"Thirsty?" Yon-rogg asked nervously, holding up the cup.

Loki exploded. Keacilius and Yon-rogg were frozen in ice from head to toe.

Y/N sniggered. "Looks like your game's over." she commented. "Wonderboy is hitting every curve you throw at him."

Loki glared at her. But then, slowly, his sneer curled up into a wicked smile. "Oh yeah.. I wonder if maybe I haven't been throwing the right curves at him. Y/N, my sweet."

Uh-oh. She knew what he was thinking. "Don't even go there."

Loki circled Y/N, looking her up and down. "See, he's got to have a weakness, because everybody's got a weakness. Mean for what? Pandora, it was the box thing, for the Trojans, hey, they bet on the wrong horse, okay? We simply need to find out Wonder boy's weakness."

"I've done my part. Get your little imps to handle it." Y/N said coldly.

 Loki chuckled. "They couldn't handle him as a baby. I need someone who can... handle him as a man."

"Hey, I've sworn off manhandling." Y/N said.

"Well, you know, that's good because that's what got you into this jam in the first place, isn't it? You sold your soul to me to save your boyfriend's life. And how does this creep thank you? By running off with some babe." Y/N's face flushed with a mixture of pain and embarrassment as she remembered that betrayal. "He hurt you real bad, didn't he, Y/N? Huh?"

"Look," she said with sadness, "I learned my lesson, okay?"

"Which is exactly why I got a feeling you're gonna leap at my new offer." Loki replied smoothly. "You give me the key to bringing down wonder breath and I give you the thing that you crave most in all the Realms." Y/N couldn't help it, she listened with interest. He whispers into her ear, "your freedom."