Chapter 41

"Can't we just skip dinner too?" Vanessa whined as she trudged alongside Artemis and Alex on their trek to the Great Hall for dinner time. She was trying everything in her power to avoid leaving the common room and seeing other students, but especially the rest of their friends and, even more importantly, Draco. So far, she was fighting a losing fight.

"Vanessa, you know we can't skip every meal," Alex retorted, much to Vanessa's disappointment. "You haven't eaten anything since lunch. I know you don't want to have to see people, but this is a necessary evil."

"Necessary evil, my arse," Vanessa muttered. "I'm fine."

"As much as I know you don't want to risk more conflicts today, I do have to agree with Alex," Artemis added. "Starving yourself will not help in this situation. Your mind needs nourishment to be able to think and process everything appropriately."

"Traitor," Vanessa spat.

Artemis merely shrugged. "Call me what you will. I think having a meal will help you more than you think," he mused. "Besides... you love me."

Vanessa huffed. He was right, but she didn't want to admit it. Some food would help at least a little bit. If nothing else, it would eliminate the queasy, painful feeling in her stomach from not eating in several hours. It would be hard to focus on possibly confronting Draco if her stomach was growling, so she knew this was the right thing to do. She only hoped they could avoid seeing the rest of their friends; Vanessa was not in the mood to deal with their reactions to her breaking up with Draco. As time had gone on, it was only natural that Amber, Kendall, and Emily had heard the "rumors" too. Of course, Vanessa and Artemis both had denied them repeatedly to their faces, so that was another hellstorm that she was wanting to avoid. It was all part of the web of lies that Vanessa- as well as Artemis, and to a lesser degree, Alex- had wove, and it was all going to come crashing down sooner rather than later. Perhaps with any luck they wouldn't be at dinner for some reason, and it could be a catastrophe temporarily avoided.

"Yeah, you need the energy to cuss Malfoy out if he shows his ugly face," Alex chimed back in, breaking Vanessa from her thoughts.

Vanessa sighed. "I don't even know what to say to him." It was true; she really didn't know what she was going to say to him. All she knew was that it was going to be unpleasant.

"Oh, that's easy! 'This has been an absolute disaster, you're a complete prick, never speak to me or my friends ever again, get lost.' How about that?" Alex replied, an evil grin stretched across her face.

"Crude, but I suppose those are all fair points she could incorporate into her argument," Artemis said.

"Whatever. I've heard a lot worse come out of your mouth," Alex brushed him off. "I was just giving her an idea as to what to say to that jerk."

"I appreciate it, guys," Vanessa thanked. "That is a nice summary to use against him. If he even shows up to dinner, of course. If not, it will be tomorrow's problem."

Neither of her friends had a chance to reply before they entered the Great Hall. Vanessa was a bit relieved to see the hall was rather empty- only a few handfuls of students were sitting between the four long tables and a couple of professors were seated at their table at the front of the hall, although she knew it would likely not stay that way. The three of them had arrived relatively early for dinner, so she knew other students and professors were more than likely on their way to fill the room. She only hoped when and if she broke it off officially with Draco that most of the school wouldn't have to witness it.

The three of them sat down at the Ravenclaw table, Vanessa seated in between Alex and Artemis like old times. She decided to focus on the food that was appearing on the table in front of them, hoping that it would distract her from having to deal with her problems. Vanessa piled food onto her plate, despite the fact she knew she would likely have limited time to enjoy her meal.