[ 00. prologue ]

| 1995 |

"One, two, three!"

The five of them on stage together. Alex at the drums, Reggie on bass, Bobby on rhythm guitar, Luke doing lead guitar, and Y/N behind the keyboard.

"Take off, last stop, countdown till we blast open the top."

Y/N watched her best friends with the biggest smile on her face. Tonight was the night everything was gonna change for them.

"Face first, full charge, electric hammer to the heart."

The girl had always preferred guitar to keyboard, but Luke was lead and Bobby did rhythm so Y/N was stuck with it. She didn't mind too much, though. Keyboard was fun, plus she got to do Bobby's parts when he wasn't at practice or when he couldn't make it to a gig.

"Clocks move faster cause it's all we're after now, oh."

Excitement bubbled in Y/N's chest as she and the boys joined Luke in the singing. It may only be a sound check, but they were finally on that stage, just a few hours away from playing at The Orpheum in front of an actual crowd.

Luke gestured for Reggie to join him at his mic while they continued singing.

"Won't stop climbing cause this is our time, yeah."

Alex grinned down at Y/N from where he sat at the drums and her smile just widened.

"When all the days felt black and white, those were the best shades of my life."

When they reached the chorus, Reggie sent Y/N a wink, causing butterflies to go off in her stomach.

"Don't look down, cause we're still rising up right now."

Reggie was the one to break eye contact and look back ahead of them at the nonexistent crowd.

"And even if we hit the ground, we'll still fly."

Y/N's eyes trailed across the stage more, watching as Bobby jumped around with his guitar.

"Keep dreaming like we'll live forever but living it like it's now or never."

Y/N's fingers danced across the keys as Alex started singing, her and Reggie doing backup.

"We ain't searching for tomorrow."

"Tomorrow."

"Cause we got all we need today."

"Today."

Bouncing on her toes was starting to hurt Y/N's legs, but she didn't care. The adrenaline running through her veins just from the pure excitement of the night was enough to ignore it.

"Living on a feeling that's been running through our veins."

"We're the revolution that's been singing in the rain."

The five of them then stopped with the instruments and started clapping to the beat with their hands, well Alex used his drumsticks.