"Never lost it," I added with a smile.

Finnick was applauding slowly, a cocky grin on her face, he wraps an arm around my shoulder his lips brushing my ear, "That's my girl," He uttered just loud enough for our group to hear him. Atlas nodded at me approvingly as I walked towards the water station where Peeta was standing awkwardly.

I poured myself half a glass of the cold liquid, running a hand through my hair, "Why so serious, Mellark?" I asked him with my eyebrow raised.

I handed him a full glass, which he took gratefully, "Sometimes I wish I was like that," He nodded in the sparring arena, "But then I remember who gave you those abilities, what you had to give up being that powerful," He said thoughtfully, "I spent all of my last games resorting to lies, manipulating the Capitol-"

I nodded, taking a sip of my water, "You're smart Peeta, smarter than a lot of people give you credit for," I told him, Peeta blushed, looking at his feet, "Look at it this way, Katniss wouldn't have lived without your help. Do you want my suggestion? You're strong, you can disarm your opponents with brute force, now imagine if you had a knife in your hand- that would make you formidable," Peeta clung to my words with a nod, "But if you want to live, if you want Katniss to be protected in that arena, you need to make a splash, a big one,"

Peeta raised an eyebrow, his lips slightly upturned, "How big?"

I grinned, "Tidal wave big, big enough to cause riots in the damn Capitol,"

"Any suggestions?"

"Mull over it a little," I told him, finishing the rest of my water, "Something tells me you don't need my help,"

---

The day of our private session had finally arrived, I had no idea what to do, but I knew whatever it was, I couldn't just fly by the seat of my pants. Peeta and Katniss would put targets on their backs, it was only their nature, that meant I had to be up there with them.

Finnick sat beside me, the two of us chatting casually as we waited for our turns, "Ophelia called, Phoenix got an A in his art project, isn't that amazing?" I told him, nudging his shoulder with my own.

He smiled and nodded, gently squeezing my hand, "You should be proud, love. He learned everything from you,"

I was intensely proud of both my niece and nephew and the accomplished people that they were growing to be. It broke my heart that there was a heavy chance I would never get to see them again, no more hugs, or chaotic babysitting adventures. No more school assemblies, their faces glowing with pride.

Finnick rested his head against my shoulder affectionately, "You would have been a great mother, Aurora Odair."

With those few words, my heart shattered in my chest.

"And you would have been the best, most loving father in the world, Finnick Odair," I told him, clearing my throat to suppress the lump rising in my throat, "In case I don't get to tell you before the games, you were the best thing that ever happened to me,"

"You were the only good thing I ever had, god I love you, Rory," he said, kissing the shoulder his head rested upon.

"And I'll love you forever, Finn," I responded, kissing his head.

"Finnick Odair, District Four," The announcer said over the speaker, his head shot up and he cleared his throat, hugging me briefly before exiting the waiting room. I noticed Katniss and Peeta staring in my direction once more and I smiled at them encouragingly. Ten minutes later, Finnick's time was up, he strolled casually back into the waiting room, winking in Lorelei and Atlas' direction as he left us wondering what stupid stunt he had pulled.