Before Us

⚠️Trigger Warning⚠️
This story includes topics such as: slight gore, big bodies of water, megalophobia, etc.
Please take care of yourself.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

There was a boat, in the middle of the lake.
Did you see it?
I swear it was there, but not anymore.
Where did it go?
Years went by and I kept asking the same questions to different people but I always kept getting the same answer, a head shake.
But today I ask.
Where did that lake went?
It was one of the biggest lakes in the world, it couldn't just have disappeared, right?
Where there was water now there are dead fish, well, some of them are still alive, all of the aquatic fauna of that place, drying because of the sun.
And the most disturbing part, in the middle of the pit the water left behind there was a hole, who knows for how many miles it went down, in there a snake-like creature was moving around in circles, it was imposible to find it's head. It was so big that the floor was shaking because of it's movements.
A week went by, things were still the same except the people of the town were evacuating, no one knew if that monster was hostile or not, but they didn't wanna risk it.
Two weeks in and there wasn't any people left but the snake was still going in circles, slowly.
One day the government decided to try to extract the monster from that pit. So they grabbed the biggest and strongest knife-like weapons to cut through all of that snake's scales, meat and bones.
It was an entire week of hard labor and some of the people working on cutting through the creature got crushed under the weight of such monstrosity, but they kept going. One day they managed to cut a slice out of the monster's meat and what they found inside of it...
I was at my new house watching the news when they showed the piece that they managed to carve out of the snake, inside of it was that boat I once saw disappear in the water that pit used to hold, but that wasn't the only thing that creature was digesting, ships, submarines and hundreds of tiny kayaks from civilizations that came before us.