Lonely is the Night.

I truly needed distance. Somewhere away from not only Sam and Jude, but from everyone. It'd been a while since I went home so I really wanted to. I missed Frankenmuth, and just Michigan in general. New York is far too crowded. I didn't want to stay with my parents,  In fact, I didn't even want them to know I was home. So, I took to Airbnb and searched for a cottage in the woods. I found a good amount but the only one close to Frankenmuth was about twenty minutes outside of downtown. About ten minutes from my house.

It was about seven minutes away from a small grocery store so if I needed anything I could quickly get it. I'd thought about doing this so many times but something was always in the way. Before, it was lack of funds, but I've managed to save up for this in particular. Then there was Jude and wanting to invite her and her never having the time even though she doesn't technically have a job. I decide to keep my peace and do my best to keep her off my mind. I'll never make sense of things that even she couldn't explain.

So, I contacted all of my clients I had upcoming meetings with this week and cancelled, assuring them they'd receive their deposit back in full. Packing a suitcase with essentials and calling a cab to take me to the airport.

_-_-_

When I got to the cabin, I was in awe of the beautiful scenery surrounding the isolated property. The uber driver looked almost nervous as she dropped me off down the long gravel road. I'd probably be freaked out too if I were her.

"Thank you. I'll be sure to give you 5 stars," I tell her, giving a small smile. I only brought a duffel bag so it was in the back with me and I grabbed it as I exited the vehicle.

"Thank you. Enjoy your trip!" She waved as she drove off. I think her name was Katie or something like that. She was nice and she didn't talk a lot which I was very grateful for. I didn't really feel like talking to anyone.

The trees that surrounded the small hideaway covered it like a small child would cover their eyes while watching a scary movie. With peeking cracks where the sun shined through. As the last rock flew up as Katie sped down the driveway, I realized how truly and utterly alone I was. I didn't let that feeling sink in too much for now since I was much too excited to see the inside of my home for the next week.

My boots crunched on the pebble path that lead to the front porch which was really just a step up to the door. I punched in the code to the door and held my breath as I slowly pushed it ajar. The smell was the first thing I noticed. Fresh linens with citrus undertones. It smelled very welcoming.

I shut and locked the door behind me as my curious eyes took in everything around me. There was color everywhere. A sage green couch sat as the centerpiece of the small lounging room. A small, what looked to be hand-made, coffee table sat in front of it with fresh daisies in a vase on top. Most likely picked from the garden outside. The kitchen was to my left and it was small but it's not like I'll be preparing huge meals.

My feet take the stairs two at a time up to the master bedroom. It said there were two rooms but it could sleep up to five people total. Not that I'd need any of the other beds. The bed was soft and covered in white linens. Begging to be touched and admired. There were two windows in the room that looked over the small lake behind the house and the luscious greenery.

I lay my bags on the bed before finally checking my phone. I had it on airplane mode still so when I switched it off, notifications came pouring in.

3 missed calls from Sam

1 missed call from Josh

Text Message from Sam:
Please don't shut me out right now. I hope you know how sorry I am and that I'll do anything to make this right. I hate you hating me again.