Fresh Faced

"Well?" Hear Genya ask Wylan. I look I've and see the baby-faced mercher a son that joined us only a few months ago.

"That's him," Jesper exclaims. "there's our Fresh-faced runaway merchling."

Genya stretches her limbs and says, "Good, because if I have to spend another minute smelling that clay, I may go mad." It is clear she has tired, but her face glows her amber eye sparkles. This was the way Grisha look when they use their power. "It would be best to revisit the work anew in the morning, but I have to get back to the embassy. And by tomorrow, well..." She shrugged.

By tomorrow the auction would be announced and everything will change. Wylan practically grovels at her feet with thanks. Genya has to finally push him out the door to find Zoya.

While Jesper and Wylan go back to the suite, I go up to the clock tower. The stairs are steep and I open the hatch with a gasp. The sky is lit up with beautiful fireworks. Even though they mean our demise I savor them. They will probably be the last ones I ever see. I sit in front of the window and watch the colors explode and fizz into smoke.

After a few hours, I see the morning sun peel through the horizon. I fold my arms around my knees and focus on breathing. Another day another heist. One more plan. One more risk. One more and it'll all be worth it. You can build your empire, fix up the ganjetier, and make it a home for displaced children. I smile at the thought.

"Celebrating our coming deaths early?" I whirl around and see Kaz standing there. His coffee-brown eyes glinting in the light.

"Just taking in the view," I say. "You let Genya fix your nose?" I say.

"She insisted." He gently touches his nose and sits next to me.

"I see." I smile and stare at the stars, hardly visible through the pollution. "I miss the stars at sea."

"But not the sea?" He says with a smile.

"Never the sea." I smile. "It was almost like a whole galaxy."

"Is that what you were doing in the crow's nest, while drunk like a true sailor?"

"Yep. I think I don't remember much." We share a soft laugh. "Looking forward to your auction tomorrow?"

"Yes and no." He stares into the night and I watch as he stretches his leg. "Everything is going to change. People are going to leave and you, we could die."

"We could die every day." I look at him and find his eyes with a smile. "What makes this any different?"

"I could lose you." I smile softly as he slowly scoots closer to me. Our hips touch and I slowly rest my head on his shoulder. Rather than flinching, he wraps his arm around my waist.

"I don't want to lose you either," I say. "So we do it together. Just like you said, knifes drawn and guns ablaze, we'll fight together."

"Till our last breath." He finishes. I feel him shift and he pulls me closer. I throw my legs over his lap and let him hold me upright as I tuck my head in his chest. His arms clutch me tightly and I sigh. "I'm sorry." He strokes my hair.

"As you should," I remember the panic and shudder.

"I didn't mean for you to panic. I only wanted you to stay at the hotel, where I know you would be safe if..."

"If per Haskell succeeded in making you look a fool? Or that boy's knife struck true and they came after the rest of us?"

"Exactly."

"Why did you freak out, I thought you said you weren't scared anymore?"

"It was a bad day."

"Is today a bad or good day?" I ask pulling my head back.

"Really good day." I smile and lift my head. He understands and softly presses his lips against mine.

"Maybe we should make sure Colm is isn't going to burst through the trap door." I smile.

"I'll just shoot him." He mumbles, pulling me closer again.

It seems like a fire has spread through my body as I shift over his legs. His hands cradle my head gently. His lips burn against mine and his hands travel to my neck. I smile as his mouth moves over my face and comes to rest on my four head. I sigh and bury my head in his chest as he moves to lay down. I follow suit and nestle against his side. As my breathing slows and my eyes flutter shut I hear him.

"I love you, Emris Arcane." I feel his arms shift over me and I press myself deeper into his warmth. The hands of sleep pulled me under in pure bliss.