He smiles; it's the response he wants to hear.

XXXXXX

Momo stands before her window looking out at the moon kissed grounds beginning to bloom with summer flowers – hydrangeas and hyacinths.

The creation stone feels heavy in her hands. She brings it up to her lips and presses the rock to her mouth as she says a silent prayer.

Then she goes over to her jewelry chest and opens it. She locks the stone back into its secret compartment. Then takes a deep, steadying breath and pulls out her mother's phoenix necklace and slides it into her nightgown pocket.

XXXXXX

"I wanted to say goodbye. This is the last time I will be able to see you."

Her companion looks up sharply.

Momo opens and closes her mouth several times before she is able to put the truth into words. "I'll-I'll be getting married in two weeks. On the summer solstice."

There is a resounding silence, as her companion stares at her. His turquoise and gray eyes shine brightly, like fallen stars.

She sees his hands curl slowly into fists at his side.

"How do you feel about that?" he asks after a moment. There is a faint tightness in his voice but his expression is masked.

She opens her mouth and hesitates. "I'm scared," she finally admits in a soft voice barely above a whisper. She looks down at the stone floor as her vision begins to blur. Her feet are covered in the woolen socks. "I don't want to get married."

From the corner of her eye, she sees her companion move closer until he stands near enough that his dark robe almost brushes against her gown.

Momo swallows. Her hands twitch by her side. If she reaches out, she can grasp onto his cloak. But she knows she shouldn't. If she touches him now, she worries she won't be able to let go.

Her fingers tremble. She brings a hand up to curl over her heart as she bundles her courage and looks up to meet his gaze.

"May I ask a favor before you go?" Momo whispers.

He stares at her intently, and she takes it as a sign of acceptance. She inhales slowly.

"Would you kiss me?"

His eyes widen marginally, and Momo continues before she loses her nerve. "It's silly, I know. But I want my first kiss to be with someone I choose. Someone not my cousin."

She can see her dark companion's jaw tighten. His expression flashes for an instant. A myriad of emotions flicker behind his heterochromatic gaze so fast she doesn't have time to read them before his mask slips back in place and he stares at her.

Momo looks away. Her chest hurts. She thinks he is going to reject her when he takes a step closer, planting a hand above her head. She can feel the heat of his body through his robe.

His other hand comes up. His fingers brush against the column of her throat before his thumb slides up to nestle under her jaw and he gently lifts her chin, leaning forward. Momo's heart stutters, and she closes her eyes as his lips skim against hers.

It's a chaste kiss and so gentle her heart aches.

And it doesn't last long enough.

He pulls back slightly and Momo opens her eyes. He's staring at her, his expression intense. "Run away with me. Right now. I'll protect you."

Momo's heart skips a beat as his breath brushes over her lips. Hope and longing fill her chest.

It would be so easy to leave and forget everything. She could create her own destiny. But — she is a princess and her cousin, nor would fate, ever let her go so easily. Someone always has to pay.

Momo draws in a quivering breath and shakes her head. Her chest hurts. "I-I can't." Her voice breaks slightly.

The necklace in her pocket is heavy. She swallows and reaches into her dress and slides a finger over the curve of the pendant before pulling it out.

"I brought you something to say goodbye." Her voice is small. She holds out the golden necklace and places it gently in his open hand. "It was my mother's. The phoenix tear in the middle should be the last piece you need for the spell." Gently, she closes his fingers over the pendant.

Her fingers are shaking, and she withdraws her hands quickly to curl behind her back. There is a sharp tightness in her chest. "Remember your patron will need about a week or more to recover. Having been cursed for so long will take a lot of energy to undo. Make sure he only has his best men around him during that time."

Her companion doesn't respond. He continues to stare at her, his gaze piercing as if he is trying to memorize what she looks like, but perhaps that is just her own reflection shining back at her.

He doesn't come again after that night.