Chapter 13. Schemes.

Start from the beginning

"Can he?"

Jimmy smirked. "I don't think so. He only got his books back in November and his study time is tightly scheduled. But he's determined so if he wants to make a fool of himself then let him. If he does manage to pass then Uncle Ernest said he'll pay the fees."

"How generous of your uncle."

"It is, though not surprisin'. Michael has always been our Uncle's favorite. How are things at the plantation? I reckon yer uncle is also planting?"

"He is, though not like I know much about it. I'm not allowed to stick my nose into the business. It's not the place for a woman." Susan rolled her eyes.

Jimmy gave her a sympathetic smile. "Would you like to be in the business."

"Not my uncle's business" Susan stated. "I really care nothin' for tobacco or cotton or whatever. I would like to have the same freedom that you men have when it comes to running a business. That is to say I'd like for it to be accepted that even though I am a woman I can run a large business if I wanted to."

" Well, I think we are coming to that day," Jimmy encouraged. "Opinions are changing slowly. Of course for the older generation it will be harder to change their mindsets."

" I suppose," Susan agreed. They walked a bit in silence before Susan spoke up again.

"I've been thinking, since the weather is so pleasant and the scenery is becoming quite picturesque, next time I'll bring my pencils and paints and we can amuse ourselves with some art."

Her words caused Jimmy to burst out laughing."Miss Goodwill, do I look like the kind of person who knows anything about art?"

"Well, Master James, you are a man of many hidden talents."

"I can assure you, art is one that you will never find hidden among them. That being said I think I'll enjoy watching you display your artistic talents."

"In the Spring," a voice sounded out behind them, "a livelier iris changes on the burnish'd dove; In the Spring a young man's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of..."

Jimmy turned sharply and swung his fist, determined to shut Michael up before he got the final word out. Michael laughed loudly and dodged the blow. This caused Jimmy to lose his balance and if Susan hadn't caught and supported him he would have fallen over.

If Jimmy was beyond aggravated to see Michael, Susan seemed to be quite delighted.

"Why, Michael!" She exclaimed while Jimmy regained his composure. "How tall you've become. Yer almost as tall as Jimmy. Were you really this tall when I saw you in winter?"

Michael gave Susan a charming smile. "I have grown another two inches since that fateful day in February."

Susan shook her head. "Still, I did not realize back then how much you had grown. You were just a short, skinny fellow when I first met you. How old are you now?"

"I'll be seventeen in May."

"Seventeen? Seventeen??? Already?"

"If only he behaved it." Jimmy grumbled under his breath."

"How time flies." Susan said in disbelief as she shook her head again. "Yer voice has changed too. I'd have never known it was you if it weren't for those unique eyes of yours."