Dating the Mob

The speakers were blasting so loud that the whole house was shaking.

It was a normal Friday night and I was doing what any other college girl at UVA would do. I was partying..... and it was fun.

Just like any other Friday there was a party at the Kappa Alpha's, more affectionately know as the KA's,  house.

Hundreds of kids crammed into this house all moving, groving, and having a great time. But even with all the people around, I only cared about one.

My boyfriend, Billy. We've been dating for a little more than a year now and I couldn't be happier.

We met in high school, he was a jock and I wasn't a cheerleader, but against all the cliches we made it.

When he graduated and headed for college we stayed together. Then the next year, this year, I joined him here at the University of Virginia.

I smiled up at him and he returned it. We were currently on the dance floor surrounded by our friends. It was a blast.

Some people really didn't like parties because they think that everybody drinks too much and dies crazy stuff, but the real secret to parties is to surround yourself with people you love. That's what makes a party great.

We danced for a few more songs before Billy said, well really had to yell because the music was so loud, that he was going to get us some drinks.

My friends took this opurtunity to swoop in and do a few girls only dances. No grinding, no guys, just some good old goofing off.  We danced, we laughed and before I knew it like 15 minutes had passed and Billy hadn't come back.

I looked around for him and when I didn't see him I started to freak out.

My friend Ann must've seen me looking around because she leaned over to me and yelled, "I think I saw them pull him to the Restricted Area," while giving me a meaningful look.

I grabbed her hand and rushed around the corner to the back of the house where an ominous cherrywood door stood with two guys out front keeping from anyone from entering.

I walked straight up to them.

"Open it." I said, my voice as hard as and as cold as ice.

"Excuse me, little girl. I don't know who in the world you think you are but I'm telling you to move along before you get hurt." the goon scoffed at me.

"Excuse me!" I said, wild in my fury. " I'm Lily Preston and you'd do well to remember that." I said, and as soon as he heard my name he moved aside, letting Ann and me through.

I stalked into the room and all eyes were on me. There were a few of the major Kappa brothers leaning against the walls and in the middle of the room was Billy, kneeling and hooded. Standing above him was my beloved brother.

"BEN!" I said, struggling to not yell.

"Ahh, I figured you'd come. Are you enjoying the party?" Ben replied, acting as if he couldn't see the anger I was trying so hard to restrain.

"I WAS enjoying it, but sometimes you just don't know when it'll end. I guess its done now considering you're in your "business room." i said making sarcastic air quotes and rolling my eyes. "Is there something you'd like to tell me?" I asked in the calmest tone I could manage.

"I have no idea what you could be talking about." Ben said, giving me an almost innocent smile. Ya, almost.

My brother was a strange case. He walked like a normal guy, looked like a normal guy, but as soon as he opened his mouth you knew that he wasn't. No, I really didn't even think he was capable of acting normal.

He was all charm, and smiles. He got what he wanted because he had a golden tongue and while sometimes it was nice, most of the time it just gets him in trouble. That's how we got tangled up in this mess to begin with. Ben and his golden words, and of course I always have to be the one to real him back in, just as he's about to go and jump off a cliff.

Since we were kids, I was the only one that could talk any sense into him. That has continued now for 21 years. Now I just have to keep him off my boyfriends which, trust me, is the hardest job of all.

Ben is older than me by two years, and he takes the whole older brother, protector job very seriously. Now is just another example.

I threw my hands up in exasperation. "Well I think you should figure it out in the next ten or so seconds. I'm not playing around."

"Wow, chill. We're just messing around."

"Well, I'm not.  I suggest you unhood him NOW."

"Oh but I don't think we really want to." some pledge came forward, smiling ear to ear.

"Excuse me!" I said, spinning around. I stalked over to the pledge.

"Ohh buddy, no." an older guy, Jeremy, said. "You don't want to mess with her."

"What? Is she going to bite me or something?"

"Or something," Jeremy replied and suddenly the pledge didn't look as confident.

"I suggest you learn your place, before I put you in it," i said. All the pledge did was make a mocking scared face and begin to chuckle. He looks back at me and suddenly the smug look slides right off his face.

I turned around and Hunter was standing behind me and looking at the pledge with unfiltered hatred. He had a knack for pulling just the right look to make someone feel absolutely tiny.

I smiled as the pledge receeded to the back of the room as chuckles echoed off the walls.

"Anybody else?" I asked loudly. I walked in a slow circle, taking care to give every single person a glare. "Anybody else think that I don't belong here? Anybody else think that they have the right to be little me? To override what I say?! Does any-body-else think that I don't have authority?!" I yelled and silence followed. I smug looked planted itself on my lips.

"I didn't think so. And if anybody has any doubt of who I am after tonight, you will regret it."

Next I turned on the minions standing next to Billy.

I cleared my throat and motioned for them to remove the hood, which now they did without hesitation.

As soon as the hood was pulled off his head Billy began to blink rapidly and look around. You could see the exact moment his eyes adjusted and he could see what room he was in. He saw me and cast me a confused glance as He got up and made his way over to me.

As soon as he was within arms reach I intertwined our fingers and gave his hand a reassuring squeeze.

Then I turned back to my brother. "We'll be leaving now." I said simply, but everyone knew it was not a question and there would be no argument.

My brother just nodded his head and waved goodbye.

I motioned Ann to come from where she had taken a spot in the corner, on the wall.

Ann simply touched my shoulder and hugged me goodnight.

I sighed and turned to Billy. I looked up in his beautiful blue eyes and I could see the millions of questions buzzing around in his head. I reached up and payed my hand gently on his face, cupping his cheek.

"Can I stay at your place tonight?" I asked and Billy simply nodded his head.

He reached up and laid his hand over mine before gently pulling my hand off his face and intertwining our fingers once again.